The max disk size for Gigabyte GA-8IRXP (Promise 20276 RAID chip)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by 7palmtree, Mar 24, 2008.

  1. 7palmtree

    7palmtree Guest

    What is the max disk size that Gigabyte GA-8IRXP with Promise 20276
    RAID chip can support?

    I have a server PC built on Gigabyte GA-8IRXP motherboard that I have
    been running for solid 5 years. I am thinking about replacing the
    current five 120GB WD IDE disks with five IDE 320/500GB ones. I will
    use the new disks as raid 5 on the motherboard's on-board Promise raid
    controller.

    Some of Gigabyte GA-8IRXP features:
    1. Socket 478 for Intel® Pentium®4 processor
    2. Intel 845/ICH2 chipset
    3. Promise 20276 RAID chip
    Source: Gigabyte GA-8IRXP support page
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1298

    I am concerned that motherboard might be unable to support disks as
    large as 320/500GB. I checked out Gigabyte's GA-8IRXP but found
    nothing relevant to disk drive size limitation. Can the GA-8IRXP
    motherboard support 500GB disks natively? If not, is there workaround
    for it?

    The server is running Windows XP SP2. OS wise I am sure there is
    always patch to bypass any disk size limitation...

    Thanks for advising!

    7palmtree, Mar 24, 2008