The ultra-quiet computer...

Discussion in 'Abit' started by LH2312, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. LH2312

    LH2312 Guest

    I'm assembling computers since ages and built several dozens during
    the last 10 years, but now I'm on a *very* special quest: an
    ultra-quiet system, but still state-of-the-art performance, i.e.
    FSB400, CPU > 2800+ or equivalent and
    minimum ATI 9700(pro) performance. The only restriction: no water
    cooling, just
    air cooling.
    So far I have together:
    - ABIT NF-Sv2
    - Athlon XP3200+
    - Sapphire 9700 np
    - Air cooler: copper cooler from TT Volcano 11+ with Verax KT2 fan
    temp controlled. (BTW: the original Smartcooler 2 that comes with it
    is the
    loudest cooler I've ever heard - absolutely unacceptable. Are TT
    crazy?)
    - LianLi PC6089
    - 4 x Papst case cooler 8412 N2/GML ( < 19 dB!) as replacement for the
    standard
    Lian inbuild hair dryers...
    - Enermax 365W PSU

    Two questions:
    Does anybody know how to get rid of the VGA cooler, i.e. a good/very
    quiet VGA cooler system for the 9700? It doesn't need to be fanless,
    if it's *really* quiet.
    Can I replace the ABIT NF-S northbridge cooler with a passive one,
    like the Zalman NB cooler or will this restrict OC capabilities or
    make the NB unstable?

    Thanks,
    Lothar

    LH2312, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Roger Squires, Jul 12, 2003

  3. LH2312

    Dion L Heap Guest

    Dion L Heap, Jul 12, 2003
  4. LH2312

    Martyn Guest

    Zalman make a passive Northbridge sink which I've been using for 3 months
    with a 200Mhz FSB with no problems whatsoever and it's only mildly warm to
    touch. They also make a fanless VGA heatsink (zm-80 and zm-80a(more
    clearance for onboard components)) which would cool your 9700 just fine. If
    you are worried about the Northbridge temps with the passive sink then you
    could invest in a Zalman bracket and large 80 or 90mm fan to blow over it.

    Martyn, Jul 12, 2003