    Although I fail to see the link of this issue with the thread, FWIW, my
    R51 runs a WD 250G hard drive. It also runs the largest PATA available
    size which is 320G I believe.

    John Doue, Jul 25, 2010

  2. Cool! Later on, I might do some shopping for a hard drive like that. Might
    even find one for just a few dollars more than I paid for the 80!

    Tom Rutherford, Jul 25, 2010

  3. John Navas

    John Doue Guest

    If you are interested and if you can wait until September (I am
    presently in Europe; the cost of shipping + taxes from there would be
    prohibitive) I have a few I do not use anymore. I would need to check
    their sizes but could let you know middle of next week.

    I am not in the business of selling anything (nor giving away!), so a
    reasonable offer would be accepted.

    Shaun (~misfit~) can testify I am reliable!

    Regards

    John Doue, Jul 26, 2010
  4. Yes, you can, but any machine I'd buy would have Windows 7 on it, anyway, if
    I bought it before the next version quits being distributed to system
    builders. I'd rather not buy two operating systems, even if the price of
    one of them is included in the price of the computer.
    That's what I'm hearing, but would it be as "better" for me as for other
    people? If I can make it at least look uncluttered, like the classic
    Windows theme, then that's fine. If I have to squint around a bunch of
    wallpaper or wait for graphics to load, etc., I'd just as soon stay away
    from it. IOW, I'd have to look at it, play with it, kick the tires, etc.,
    and see if I like it.
    Very nice, but still not enough byte for the buck, IMHO.

    Tom Rutherford, Jul 26, 2010
  5. John Navas

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Doue wrote:
    [snip]
    I certainly can. John is a man of his word. :)

    ~misfit~, Jul 27, 2010
  6. September would be just about right; I'll probably have my funds built back
    up again by then. :)
    I've seen you around the 'Net for quite a while, even before my recent
    hiatus, and usually, dishonest folks get chased off soon after they show
    themselves to be that way. So, I think I can trust you.

    Tom Rutherford, Jul 27, 2010
  7. Thanks, Shaun.

    Tom Rutherford, Jul 27, 2010
  8. John Navas

    John Doue Guest

    On 7/27/2010 8:10 PM, John Navas wrote:

    snip
    Your source please ! Thanks

    John Doue, Jul 27, 2010
  9. Anthony R. Gold, Jul 28, 2010
  10. Can you point to even one other notebook HDD product where multiple users are
    complaining that its use results in blue screens and corrupted data?

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 28, 2010
  11. John Navas

    John Doue Guest

    John Doue, Jul 28, 2010
  12. John Navas

    John Doue Guest

    On 7/27/2010 9:44 PM, Tom Rutherford wrote:

    snip
    Tom,

    I will let you know what I have available middle of next week and we
    will go from there.

    Regards

    John Doue, Jul 28, 2010
  13. Sheesh - that gem from the John Navas who started a thread in this newsgroup
    about an Android app:
    And are you, John, a hypocrite by nature or do you have to work at it?

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Jul 28, 2010
  14. I bought a Dell laptop that way. I'd rather buy ThinkPads that way, I
    think, since Dells (at least the old Inspiron I have) are real pains to work
    on. Next time I'm in the market for one, I may have to do that. Is there a
    specific dealer you do business with?
    True. It's my Scot's blood, I think. :)

    Tom Rutherford, Jul 28, 2010
  15. Tom Rutherford, Jul 28, 2010
  16. John Navas

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heh! That's why I bought *two* 15" T60's, the last 4:3 screen and the last
    model to offer the FlexView option. Get 'em while you can!

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=20077KU

    That's the spec that I have. To be sure, the LG-Philips version of the
    FlexView in these isn't quite as good as the (Boe-Hydis?) screen in my R51
    but you wouldn't know unless you were already a 'screen connoisseur' and had
    them side-by-side. They're still far and away better than any TN or SPVA
    screen you'll find elsewhere.

    Once bumped up to 3GB RAM (the max) and with a 7200rpm 320GB HDD these
    machines fly! I should be good for another 5 years minimum I reckon,
    hopefully 10. (They have an expresscard slot so you can add a USB3 or an
    eSATA card, whatever you may need in the future.) I have Windows 7 Ultimate
    on one of them but still use the XP machine as my main machine.

    There's no way I'm letting my old faithful R51 go though. :)

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2010
  17. John Navas

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2010
  18. John Navas

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Twat. You're the one telling people to take it to email. That directly
    impacts the number of posts to usenet. Also arrogant idiots like you put
    folks off usenet, not others having a friendly exchange.

    As mentioned previously, the subject (and original subject matter) of this
    thread was totally OT for this group and was started by you. Practice what
    you preach or get out of the pulpit.

    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2010
  19. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Max RAM is actually 4GB, which does work and make a significant
    difference if you run a 64-bit OS (as I do, even with 32-bit apps).

    John Navas, Jul 29, 2010
  20. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Not up to the price either. ;)

    At worst you have a good 7200 RPM drive that's better than the original
    Seagate 7200 RPM drive, and for certain things it is faster than a
    standard 7200 ROM drive.

    My own take is that it's decent bang for modest buck. YMMV.

    John Navas, Jul 29, 2010