    Just fitted a retail boxed (c/w fan)2600+. The instructions in the box said
    just use thermal pad already stuck to fan block and no grease.Is this
    correct?

    wilfplayer, Oct 9, 2003

  2. wilfplayer

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Oct 10, 2003

  3. wilfplayer

    LBJGH Guest

    The only way to maintain your warranty too. If you want to use paste,
    install the HSF with the pad first run prime overnight then replace the
    stock HSF with an aftermarket with paste... that way you can show that you
    did run the cpu with the stock HSF... you wouldn't be lying.

    LBJGH, Oct 10, 2003
  4. wilfplayer

    Harry Guest

    If you reckon you will be replacing the HSF or CPU in the near future
    then use the paste as the pads can be a nightmare to properly clean
    off.

    If you do need to clean the pad off at any time use Isopropyl
    Alcohol.

    Personally I would go for paste as it gives you flexibility for the
    future.

    Warranties ARE voided if you use paste but, IMHO, it is pretty
    difficult to fry/damage a CPU without being pretty careless.

    HTH

    Harry

    Harry, Oct 10, 2003
  5. wilfplayer

    LBJGH Guest

    I was think if buddy used the stock HSF with the pad... use the stock hsf
    overnight... then put the stock HSF back in the box and use a NEW
    aftermarket HSF with paste. Short duration use of the pad doesn't make the
    pad stick to the cpu core.

    LBJGH, Oct 10, 2003
  6. wilfplayer

    Dave Garrett Guest

    I just cleaned a pad off easily using a small amount of xylene (Goof-
    Off) applied to a lint-free lens cleaning cloth. Took it right off of
    the heatsink as well as the CPU core, with a little bit of rubbing. Use
    a small amount, and be careful not to get any on the CPU outside of the
    core.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Oct 10, 2003
  7. wilfplayer

    Bugman Guest

    And then do a final cleaning with alcohol. Xylene will leave a oily residue.

    Bugman, Oct 10, 2003
  8. wilfplayer

    wilfplayer Guest

    Thanks for all the advice!

    And then do a final cleaning with alcohol. Xylene will leave a oily residue.

    wilfplayer, Oct 12, 2003