    wondering what in the AMD line is comparible with the Intel chip.

    So can the group please recommend an AMD and Intel Board from Asus or
    Gigabyte?

    Jack, Dec 12, 2013

  2. Jack

    Paul Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > I am going to purchase this case (Thermaltake A30i)
    >
    > http://amzn.to/18VEFjb
    >
    > from Amazon and was wondering what Micro ATX Motherboard I should
    > purchase for this case? I would also like to know what is a compatible
    > AMD Processor. I will probably purchase an Intel i5 chip, but was
    > wondering what in the AMD line is comparible with the Intel chip.
    >
    > So can the group please recommend an AMD and Intel Board from Asus or
    > Gigabyte?

    For benchmarks, you can look in the list here.

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

    AMD offers processors, that compete up to the mid-range
    of the Intel processors. It's possible the top of the
    AMD stuff, will match an i5.

    AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Passmark = 9,068 Price = $200
    Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz Passmark = 7,522 Price = $240

    Where the Intel might feel a bit faster, is in single threaded
    and regular desktop applications. The AMD value of "9,068"
    is more likely to be felt while doing video rendering or
    something.

    The microATX boards should all fit a 9.6" x 9.6" form factor.
    Just check the reviews and prices, to find something to fit.

    You can find a cheap LGA 1150. This one is $65. This would
    be for the 4670K.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132044

    This is a few AM3+ microATX boards. You need to verify these
    can handle an FX-8350 from a power perspective.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eId=1&name=Micro ATX&Order=RATING&Pagesize=20

    If I pick the first one...

    ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS $55

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795

    I can then visit the Asus site, to check the CPU listings.

    http://support.asus.com/cpu.aspx?SLanguage=en

    FX-8350
    M5A78L-M LX PLUS ALL 1201

    So that motherboard can handle a 125W processor, even though
    the motherboard only looks like a 3+1 phase design.

    The LGA-1150 motherboard is a different power architecture.
    The motherboard regulator puts out 2.4V, which is not
    used by the processor directly (i.e. VCore). So the
    motherboard converts ATX12V to 2.4V. Then the 2.4V enters
    the processor, and a regulator design in there, makes
    VCore of 1V or less. This is Intel, keeping busy
    and doing stuff, for no particular benefit. It required
    doing some kind of thin-film magnetics, in order
    to build a VCore regulator that hides right inside
    the CPU package itself. It also makes it kinda hard
    to overvolt, so is not an overclocker friendly concept.

    http://www.psma.com/sites/default/f...ully-integrated-silicon-voltage-regulator.pdf

    Now, the above aren't going to be your choices, because
    you had some price target in mind, and I didn't meet it.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 12, 2013