    Bugman Guest

    Has anyone used the Thermaltake SILENT BOOST Highest Performance Cooler? http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/silentBoost.htm
    I'm building a new system for my kids with a Asus A7N8X-Deluxe with a 2500+ Barton that I'm planning to OC as high as it will go but haven't decided on the cooling yet.It looks like a good one.

    Bugman, Sep 12, 2003

  2. The new line of Thermaltake HSF combos seem to be close copies of best HS on
    the market. The SLK-800 and 900 by ThermalRight which currently hold the
    crown for worlds best HS.

    -------------------------
    Do you "eat to live" or "live to eat"?

    The TweakOholic, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Bugman

    stanmc Guest

    There are two models of the 900 for AMD processors. Be very careful to
    read the compatibility remarks. The 900-U requires severe bending of the
    capacitors on the a7n8x while the 900-A does not.

    stanmc, Sep 12, 2003
  4. Atleast it does not have Volcano in the name :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Sep 13, 2003
  5. Just bolted on an SLK-900u with a Ys-Tech TMD fan 70mm 5600RPM. best temps I've ever had so far.

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 13, 2003
  6. Just bolted on an SLK-900u with a Ys-Tech TMD fan 70mm 5600RPM. best temps
    I've ever had so far.

    Only 70mm at quite a high rpm. Why not a 92mm at low rpm? Prolly
    double airflow at lower dbs.

    rms

    Roger Squires, Sep 13, 2003
  7. IMHO, I have a 92mm but I didn't like how far the edges of the fan hung over the side of the hs. too much 'wasted air' and too much
    area of the mobo to be covered in dusty dirt over time. i put a switch on it set at med/4800rpm and I get 40c max with full prime95
    load and 28c idle. had 38c max load on hi speed.

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 13, 2003
  8. Bugman

    LBJGH Guest

    But that overhang of the 92mm is good to cool the mobo/capacitors/chipset
    too... not just put dust on em.

    LBJGH, Sep 13, 2003
  9. But with the overhang, as air is similar to water and electricity (tries to find the easiest route out with the least resistance),
    would this leave less air going down into the heatsink?

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 13, 2003
  10. Also true - so suck it instead of blowing it. ;-)

    ie. try it both ways around - I found a 3000RPM 80mm fan sucking away from
    the SLK800s I used a while back on two machines was the most efficient -
    especially as I could then quite easily duct the CPU hot air exhaust
    directly out the back of the case...

    Ciao...

    [UK]_Nick...

    Nick M V Salmon, Sep 14, 2003
  11. Well, it's more fundamental than even that. The majority of an axial fan's
    airflow is directed, by centrifugal action of the fan blades, to the perimeter
    anyway.

    e.g.
    __________
    |__________|
    //// \\\\
    /// \\\
    // \\

    David Maynard, Sep 14, 2003
  12. Bugman

    iTsMeMa Guest

    I'm not gonna shed a lot of light on this discussion, however my personal
    experience may be relevant.
    My original setup when I built my sys was a 1.4 T-bird topped with a
    ThermalTake 7 (80mm smart fan)
    Average running temp was 50C.
    Because of fan failure I chose to go to a Thernalright SK6. This cooler came
    with a 60mm delta screamer .it sounded like I had purchased shares in
    Boeing.
    Average running temp was 47C, noise was brutal!
    After some thought I figured how to mount an 80mm fan on the SK6.
    Average running temp lowered to 44C. noise was down to barely discernable.
    Following the same thought process, I mounted a 92mm fan on the SK6.
    Average running temp is now 40C.
    Regarding basic flow fundamentals, benefits or losses regarding fan
    overhang, additional dust build-up, I won't go there.
    My point is simply that my real world experience showed a definitive gain
    from the larger fan.
    Now, for those that are gonna ask, (at this moment) there is no way I can
    see to mount a 120mm fan on my cooler!

    Hope this helps,

    Regards,

    Garry.

    to find the easiest route out with the least resistance),

    iTsMeMa, Sep 15, 2003
  13. Bugman

    Aussie Guest

    World's Best ??????????

    ASUS A7N8X DLX v2
    2500+ @ 2.53 1.8v
    2x256 A-Data DualChannel PC2700 2.7v
    Volcano 11+
    Baby Volcano Ram Cooler
    PowerColor 9600Pro Zalman with fan
    sys = 31*
    cpu = 40* (under load)

    World's Best ????????????? LOL LOL LOL

    Aussie, Sep 18, 2003
  14. Got the same system and waiting for a HSF.. I'm looking at the Extreme
    Volcano 12, it looks similar, but I asume noisier.. anyone got any comments
    on that one?

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Sep 20, 2003
  15. Bugman

    Viper Guest

    Just installed - Barton 2500+, A7NbX-Dlx - OC'd to 3200 2.2ghz

    Stock Cooler = 40 idle, 52 load, 1.7v
    Thermaltake = 30 idle, 41 100%CPU load after 5 min. 1.65v

    Quiet, nice cooler - well worth the $34

    Viper, Sep 23, 2003