Things on screen move with change of resolution

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Charlie Dilks, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. In my 10+ years of using a Mac, it has always been a pain that after
    using a lower screen resolution to play a game, when I go back to a
    higher resolution, everything is out of place.

    In OS 9 and before I used a 3rd party program, "DesktopResetter." It
    reset icons, but nothing else. With the better finder in OS X, I don't
    use icons on the screen.

    I had the idea that in Panther with "Expose," the problem might be
    solved. I put the "monitors" control in the menu bar. I figured that if
    i hit the corner in "expose" that took all the windows off the screen
    and then set the resolution from the menu bar, the windows might come
    back to the proper positions after I'd played the game and reset the
    resolution back from the menu bar.

    The problem is that the "monitors" pulldown has only three resolutions
    in it's list, just the three highest. I need the next to lowest. To get
    that I need to click on "displays preferences" in the pulldown. When I
    do that a window opens and all the other windows appear on the screen
    and I'm back where I started.

    My standard "working desktop" has two Internet Explorer windows of a
    certain size and position, MTNW with it's activity window in a certain
    position, Mail in a certain position, and many stickies in cetain
    positions. It's a pain to move all that back.

    Shouldn't it be an easy thing for the computer to remember the positions?

    Charlie Dilks, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Charlie Dilks

    Wes Groleau Guest

    My experience is that it happens SOMETIMES.
    Conclusion: Mac OS has a way to put it back
    but some game programmers are too lazy and/or
    ignorant. (Just like some don't even bother
    to change the resolution back.)
    I've noticed it's less of a problem in OS X than OS 9.

    Also, even when it gets screwed up, it's fixed
    the next time I log in.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 28, 2003

  3. It never goes back correctly for me. The game doesn't change it. I
    change the resolution before I play the game. If I go to lower
    resolution, and don't do anything else, then go back to high resolution,
    things are disorganized.
    What do you mean by log in?
    I'm new to X and Panther.

    Charlie Dilks, Oct 28, 2003