    electroluminescent night lights which gives off a faint glow. Or get a
    keychain flashlight, the kind intended for finding keyholes, and leave it
    hanging on a hook near the door where you can find it in the dark.

    Wayne C. Morris, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Gareth Slee

    Van Bagnol Guest

    It's also a wise methodology, figuratively, when writing software code.

    Van

    Van Bagnol, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Gareth Slee

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Reading the many postings regarding what I'll dub "toilet foibles" reminded
    me of one that is most embarrassing for males, the "twin stream" problem
    where for reasons unbeknownst instead of one stream there are two, only one
    of which is able to be aimed into the bowl at a time, and by the time the
    emergency shut-off has taken place there is a splotch either on the wall of
    the adjacent cabinet or on the floor, or heaven forbid, on the white carpet.
    A variation is the "sidestream" problem where aim and actuality have a strong
    disagreement.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 10, 2005
  4. The optimal strategy is to check the toilet before using it. This
    means the person with the responsibility to check also suffers the
    consequences for NOT checking.

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Except that in a multithreading environment, you must also be sure to
    obtain a mutex on the toilet.

    Matthew Russotto, Jan 10, 2005
  6. In this environment, the mutex normally takes the form of the bathroom
    door (or stall door, in the case of a public restroom). If it's open,
    you acquire the mutex by entering and closing the door behind you. It's
    got the nice feature that if someone fails to release the mutex (i.e. by
    closing the door when not inside), you can normally override the lock
    and acquire the mutex by knocking on the door.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Gareth Slee

    Van Bagnol Guest

    I meant optimal wrt the number of times the lid has to be moved.
    See another post (search for "toilet mutex") for comments on your point.

    Van

    Van Bagnol, Jan 13, 2005