Thinking of buying a Dell? Think again!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Psychomation, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Psychomation

    Psychomation Guest

    1) We bought one PC and all went fine.
    2) Ordered a second one many months later and for technical reasons,
    cancelled the order within 24 hours by both fax and email. We received a
    confirmation of the cancellation from the service rep. This rep was not
    available by phone and would not return my call to the number left on
    2 voice messages and 2 emails.

    3) The next month, the full amount of transaction was charged to our
    account!

    4) Maybe worst of all, any communication to cust service has resulted in
    the address being put on a mailing list.

    5) The request to remove from list has resulted in a second "subscription"
    to the same mailing list.

    6) The "unsubscribe page" of the list gives a "Service not available"
    error.

    Conclusion - I will never ever have anything to do with Dell again.

    Just in case you are scanning this forum with the intention of
    purchasing... think twice about it.

    Psychomation, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Psychomation

    HH Guest

    I read it, and just ordered my 2nd Dell ( an 1100 notebook) anyway. So
    there!
    <Plonk>
    HH

    HH, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Psychomation

    BWL Guest

    Man, you had it easy! If that's the worst that happened to you in dealing
    with Dell, I'd say you were one of the lucky ones.

    Unlike just a couple of years ago, horror stories regarding Dell's PC's,
    return policies, and ESPECIALLY their worse-than-bottom-of-the-barrel tech
    support have been rampant.

    Dell apologists (customers who haven't been screwed yet, or Dell employees)
    will post messages of praise, but what's happened to Dell recently is no
    longer a secret. If more people did their homework, and actually talked to
    recent Dell costomers, fewer people would make that expensive mistake. Dell
    would (hopefully) eventually think about getting back to how it was in the
    '90's.

    But I understand the economics of it, and I doubt they will do that. All we
    can do (after exhausting all options in dealing with Dell) is not do
    business with them again.

    ....and warn future potential suckers of what awaits them.

    BWL, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Psychomation

    Col Guest

    Ive had the same thing happen with Screwfix, Argos and a place selling ink
    and cds (UK) Its not just Dell Its a big company thing, why should they care
    about your situation they are bigger than you and now have your money. what
    can you do? they are all at it.

    Col.

    Col, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    LOL, I was just thinking the same thing as I read his post.

    Irene, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Psychomation

    PC Gladiator Guest

    What can you do? If it's on a charge card immediately call your credit card
    company and notify them the amount is in dispute. You'll have to follow up
    in writing as well with those cancellation confirmatiuons. They WILL take
    care of it.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Psychomation

    BWL Guest

    Actually, Dell used to be big AND good at the same time. Someone at the top
    (we'll call him "Michael") did the math and realized that he'd make more
    money, in the short term, being the exact opposite of what what got him to
    the top in the first place.

    BWL, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Psychomation

    Psychomation Guest

    All done immediately. Anex doesn't mess with his kind of thing. If Dell
    doesn't credit us within 5 working days, Amex will and then they'll deal
    with Dell.

    Sure this could happen to/with any company (as someone else said above) but
    Dell accumulated several really bad commerical screwups in this one small
    order. I'll never deal with them again. And the double spam is not making
    my desire to forgive them any stronger!

    Psychomation, Nov 10, 2003
  9. Psychomation

    Psychomation Guest

    You've been warned - and if you answer this, you lied about the plonk :)

    Psychomation, Nov 10, 2003
  10. Psychomation

    Dawn Killick Guest

    You *are* Tom Scales and I claim my $5

    Dawn Killick, Nov 10, 2003
  11. Psychomation

    ~~Alan~~ Guest

    Wow! I just saw this same post in the following news groups (in no special
    orger):

    Compaq/HP Radio Shack
    Verizon Shaw's Supermarkets
    Comcast Ford
    IBM General Motors
    Gateway Toyota
    Pacific Bell American Airlines
    Microsoft Maxell
    Apple Staples
    Amazon and the list goes on and on

    if this is the worst thing in your life, let's trade places.

    ~Alan

    ~~Alan~~, Nov 10, 2003
  12. Psychomation

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, he's not. Check out the news server. He's in Houston (actually goes the
    Austin's server) and I'm in Pennsylvania.

    There IS more than one happy customer.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 10, 2003
  13. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    Two of you? >g<

    Irene, Nov 10, 2003
  14. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    The same post?

    Sure you did.

    Irene, Nov 10, 2003
  15. Psychomation

    Bob Rekieta Guest

    How quickly did they correct the charge to your account?

    Bob Rekieta, Nov 10, 2003
  16. Psychomation

    subedude Guest

    Gosh, I must be a real sucker.

    I manage 350 Dell Optiplex systems, serveral Dell Poweredge servers and
    about 12 Dell laptops at
    my university.

    In the past three years I have only had to make four calls to tech support,
    resulting in a part, or a tech, if
    neccesary, showing up the next day.

    In short Premier support is still good, and the Optiplex machines (my
    personal computer is an Optiplex 270) perform
    every day, every way, with a minimum of problems.

    I think most of the complaints come from the consumer end of things and I
    think there really needs to be some improvement
    there. We don't own any Dimensions, or Insperions so I can't speak to that
    issue.

    My personal experiance is that the Optiplex line is rock solid, stable, and
    highly scalable.

    The servers, three years running Novell on three of them, Linux on
    anotherr, and Win 2003 on the other, Not one reboot in all that time
    except to install new software on the Windows server.

    I guess I am one of those hapless fools who have had a great experiance with
    Dell.

    BTW, We have a few HP's anc Compaqs also....Try working with thier tech
    support!!!

    subedude, Nov 10, 2003
  17. How does not having had problems make one an "apologist?"

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Nov 10, 2003
  18. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    Let's see now. You deal only with the business operation and have had no
    experience with Dell's consumer products.

    What's your point?

    That Dell does a far better job with it's business computer operation than
    with it's consumer PC operation. I think everyone here knows that already.

    Irene, Nov 10, 2003
  19. Psychomation

    HH Guest

    Yep. We be not the same person. So, she's wrong and owes me $5!!!
    HH

    HH, Nov 10, 2003
  20. Psychomation

    ~~Alan~~ Guest

    Think about it. Every organization as large as Dell is going to have both
    happy customers and unhappy customers.

    I love my Dell product, but I feel that their customer service sucks the big
    one, but that is for another post. Am I going to give up on Dell, I don't
    think so. Over all, they do make a good product. If you have a problem
    with a CS agent, speak to a manager and continue to go up the ladder until
    you speak with Mike's office. But when you do speak with them, remember
    this: act professional, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will
    with fly paper.

    I've had problems with my local supermarket because they continue to
    overcharge me at the checkout line (actually, the scanners are not programed
    correctly) and after waiting in line to check out, I have to wait in another
    line for a correction/refund. I spoke with the manager who said sorry but
    that's the way we are set up to do business. A call to his district
    manager, and then to the VP for the area operations and the system was
    changed. From both the store manager and his DM, I was told the computer
    made a mistake. The VP didn't think so. He didn't think the computer set
    up the business like that, either.

    Do I no longer shop there? No, I still go back because they 1) do have
    better prices, and 2) they are closer and more convenient for my needs. Am
    I going to cut off my nose to spite my face?

    The Same post? Maybe not the same words, but the same message are in those
    NGs. So what is this person going to do? Get pissed off at Dell? He's
    probably the same guy that got pissed off at Compaq, HP, IBM, etc.

    Thank you for your time.
    ~alan

    ~~Alan~~, Nov 10, 2003