Thinking of buying a Dell? Think again!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Psychomation, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Psychomation

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Yeah. You bit on the reliability of such a small number of machines and
    choose to be a "Dell shill" ignoring the obvious problems, pain, grief, and
    digestive difficulties Dell is intentionally or negligently inflicting upon
    you.

    Shame on you to ignore such power users as Irene ( OH AND I STILL LOVE YA
    IRENE, even though I can't see ya....)

    Got three Dells here, and even more I support by default for friends and
    family. I love'em, especially the older models.

    All OEMs are cutting back. It stinks, but it's reality. I have, however,
    welcomed recommendations of any smaller vendors that people have found to
    build and support a quality machine at a reasonable price. Gotta be some
    here in the U.S. somewhere, but I've not read of them.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Psychomation

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Please, please tell me which computer company sells a very good, reliable

    What she said, but make it double.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Psychomation

    S.Lewis Guest

    Can I have your "obsolete" notebook..........please?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Psychomation

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    And that is essentially correct. But not anyone/everyone can do it in
    volume and make a *profit*, that nasty word which actually keeps an
    organization in business.

    Think HP knows a little about the PC business? Of course they do. Then why
    is it that even after sub-contracting out assembly they are *still* losing
    money (currently) on each and every PC they sell? Think they are doing so
    intentionally? What about Gateway? They're virtually done with domestic
    in-house assembly as well, having just closed their Hampton, VA facility and
    booting 450 people to the curb.

    Customers have basically said, "we don't give a damn about build quality or
    support, we want a price, and a lower price is best". So we choose our
    poison; do we want a $2-3,000 system with outstanding components, build
    quality, and support, or do we want a $499 system of unidentified
    origin/quality with spotty support?

    The commoditization of PCs was coming anyway. So, either Michael Dell is a
    villain or a genius. When the .com bubble burst and the economy tanked, he
    could sit back and continue with the same price structure for machines and
    support in a shrinking PC market. In effect, 'let's keep doing what we do
    best and pray for customer loyalty due to our quality product and support'
    (and credibility of the company name).

    OR, he could do what he appears to have done; take the war for the
    shrinking PC market directly to his competitors, understanding that those
    same competitors couldn't cut costs and red-tape nearly as fast or as deeply
    with their organizational structure - when compared to his JIT no inventory
    approach. I suspect he knew people would be loyal only to the upfront cost
    of the machines. Sad, but true.

    There's danger and good and bad either way he went. For the moment, he's
    still making money and gaining market share while his competition takes a
    pounding in their PC segments. Had he stuck with the old reliable and
    dependable methods of the 1990's, he might be suffering in the manner of HP
    or Gateway right now. I really don't know.

    It's up to the customer, and I suppose shareholders, to decide the ultimate
    right and wrong

    Just my opinion.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    Shame on you to ignore such power users as Irene ( OH AND I STILL LOVE YA

    Luv ya too Stew------

    If you had been reading my posts, you would have read that we found a
    "super" local company that custom builds and installs (if desired) computers
    for local businesses. We bought one and it was outstanding. The couple of
    small problems that we had were solved by real English speaking people.
    They are only ten minutes away and if necessary, we can be standing in front
    of them(during business hours of course) in a few minutes.
    We have another one coming this week. It cost about $300 more than a new
    Dimension 8300 configured the same way.

    Dell can keep their India support operation and their computer.

    Irene, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Psychomation

    BD Guest

    You sure can! For market value when I replace it with a Sager.
    Really though, folks were wanting an option to a Dell, for a dependable and
    satisfactorily serviced machine, so I thought I'd mention Sager. I don't own
    one but a friend does and he swears by it, not at it.
    BD

    BD, Nov 11, 2003
  7. Psychomation

    subedude Guest

    Are you totally looney? 300 plus machines running for three years with
    only 4 support calls, and Dell is inflicting pain on me. What are you
    drinking, or do you just have a problem understanding English?

    Now to expand it...I am just a small branch of a large state university
    system that owns more than 10,000 Dells total. I checked the records. 25
    support calls, from all seven campuses in three years, all resolved quickly
    and satisfactory within the 24 hour next day service window.

    God if this is pain give us more.

    Should I also bother to tell you that all these machines replace a fleet of
    Compags that were trash from day one?

    Damn I guess I am just a glutton for punishment....

    subedude, Nov 11, 2003
  8. It's on their system configuration page. Click yes box or click the no box.
    The default is usually (but not always) no.

    I choose no because failures are too rare to justify the cost ... I've
    bought Dell boxes since 1993, and used three others at work. I've had to
    call Dell support only 3 times. Once was during the "modern" era of
    off-shore support. I think that $80 per box ($400 just for my own systems)
    is too high a price, just to get faster/dedicated service. But that's just
    me. Some people would want that.

    Anyway, it goes by some cutsey marketing name, like "Tech Care" or some such
    jazz. This is the "better" level of support for home (and SOHO?) users.

    Lester Horwinkle, Nov 11, 2003
  9. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    Again, are any of these "home" PC's, such as Dimensions or Inspirons? The
    support provided home PC users is far, far different from what is provided
    to those, like your university system, who have hundreds, and even
    thousands of Optiplex computers and PowerEdge servers.

    Neither my husband or myself are "computer geeks". We depended on Dell for
    any needed technical support. They were more than acceptable until about a
    year and a half ago. Then things started down hill. Now the support for the
    home PC line has been outsourced to India and it's a roll of the dice to get
    someone who is competent at speaking and understanding English, let alone,
    someone who can quickly and efficiently provided the needed help.

    Irene, Nov 11, 2003
  10. I have been buying Dell computer for 10 years and the tech support is not
    what it use too be. I know all the major companies are running their
    businesses the same way. You have a choice to build a box or buy from a
    company like Dell.

    Carolyn Taliaferro, Nov 11, 2003
  11. Psychomation

    Tom Scales Guest

    Buy through Small Business. Everyone is eligible.

    Tom Scales, Nov 11, 2003
  12. Psychomation

    Tom Scales Guest

    He was KIDDING!

    Tom Scales, Nov 11, 2003
  13. Psychomation

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yeah, but I swear by my Dell, so I must be an idiot.

    Tom Scales, Nov 11, 2003
  14. Psychomation

    subedude Guest

    Point well taken, but you called me a Dell Shill.....

    I provided in my original post that I had no experiance with the consumer
    line did I not?

    Want a good system? Buy an Optiplex. I believe that is possible is it not?

    subedude, Nov 11, 2003
  15. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    Could you please post the URL for the page where you found these options.

    As we have on order, a custom built up computer from a local shop, out of
    curiosity, I just went through a configuration for a Dimension 8300---all
    the way down to place it in the "cart".
    I could find no such options.

    On the Service and Support selection page, there were options for the term
    of the limited warranty and at home service.

    Another group of options for selecting Accidental Damage Protection.

    And a third set of options for Express Support. By description this provide
    a priority phone number so that the on hold time is reduced by "65%". Dells
    number, not mine.

    There were no other service options available

    And you sure you were at the Home PC and Home Business web page?

    Irene, Nov 11, 2003
  16. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    I have no complaints with any of the three Dell computers we have, only the
    sorry support that Dell now provides to the home PC consumer.

    Irene, Nov 12, 2003
  17. Psychomation

    Irene Guest

    I think you have me confused some one else's post.

    I don't call people "shills" or for that matter nearly any other name.

    Here is the comment I think you refer to:

    Irene, Nov 12, 2003
  18. Psychomation

    BD Guest

    This part of the thread is what I was trying to refer to. Folks were asking
    if not Dell, then who?
    Compact, HP, Sony, Toshiba? All of these seem to have complaints with the
    home PC user.
    I just wanted to let ppl know that Sager's existed, are located out of CA,
    and according to my friend are a quality unit and have excellent and fast
    tech support. YMMV
    BD

    BD, Nov 12, 2003
  19. Psychomation

    Turner Guest

    Dell reminds me of the crappy Packard Bell that once was. Basically made
    cheap toy like junk with horrible tech support.

    Turner, Nov 12, 2003
  20. Psychomation

    Tom Scales Guest

    Having owned both, I disagree completely. The Dells I've owned are solid,
    reliable machines.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 12, 2003