    welcome.
    TIA
    -O

    Ovid, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Ovid

    Jerry Park Guest

    I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 last year about this time. Very pleased
    with it.

    Dell also offers an extended warranty, which for laptops is a good
    value, since the screen alone would cost about $600 to replace ...

    Jerry Park, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Ovid

    Timmy Guest

    I bought an Inspiron 8600 a few weeks ago. I like the computer ok but if you
    need any customer service or tech support, I'd think about going elsewhere
    unless you have hours to wait around, have calls routed, get disconnected,
    etc.. Their customer relations are the pits compared to a couple of years
    ago. They ought to spend less on the stupid commercials and more on
    improving customer care.

    Timmy, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Ovid

    That Guy Guest

    In addition, they outsourced their support to India. Apparently they didn't
    bother to train the Indian techs or something, because they started getting
    a huge number of complaints about poor support. Dell's response? To
    re-open a decent support center--but only for corporate customers.
    Individuals like you and I still have to deal with their Indian call center.

    That Guy, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Ovid

    Jerry Park Guest

    I've had good results using email. Phone service is apparently (from the
    posts here) not good.

    Jerry Park, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Ovid

    Tom Scales Guest

    Timmy,

    You've had actual experience with Dell support for your 8600 or is this
    quoting anecdotes?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Ovid

    Eugene Guest

    First decide if your going to carry it around a lot or use it on a
    desktop/table mostly. Laptops are getting bigger, 15", 16" screens making
    some less portable than others. Some buy the big screen laptops to replace
    a slim desktop/lcd monitor/ups all in one unit so they are not wirried
    about the larg size/weight. I carried a 7lb 300MHz laptop with foppy and
    cd drive integrated for over three years, ripped the straps off two
    different cases in the process. Once you load up the laptop, power supply,
    your cell phone, pda if you have it, etc that bag gets heavy. I carry mine
    everywhere so I bought the smallest lightest I could afford.

    Decide if you want to use it on batery or not. Lower price laptops have
    desktop or AMD cpu's which suck the power faster than the mobile
    processors, make more heat and more fan noise (my wife's Inspiron 1100
    sounds like a shopvac).

    Also don't worry about getting the fastest cpu in the laptop, the slower
    system bus and slower ide drives will hurt the performance more than a few
    cpu cycles, the fastest cpu will just wait faster on the rest of the
    system. Spend the $$ on the ram so the system spends less time hitting
    virtual memory.

    Eugene, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Ovid

    Tom Almy Guest

    First, if you buy a Dell, get a Latitude from the Small Business
    Division and not an Inspiron. That way you get a better case and US
    based tech support. However, assuming you will want as rugged a system
    as possible (working out of your car?), I would recommend spending a
    bunch more bucks and buying an IBM.

    Tom Almy, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Ovid

    Irene Guest

    I'll second that. The IBM route is the way we have decided to go for the
    lap top that we need.

    All the research that we have done brought us to the conclusion that lap
    tops are by nature are subject to many more problems than desks tops. Even
    though the cost it greater, if this is a computer that you want to use a
    substantial amount AND keep for more than a couple of years, get the best
    you can find.

    Our conclusion----IBM.

    Irene, Dec 6, 2003
  10. Ovid

    Whelan Guest

    In late October I bought a 8500. Over Thanksgiving I made some calls to
    Dell, trying to decide whether to keep it, upgrade, warranty info, etc. My
    first call was answered quickly, sounded like India, but he gave me a
    different phone # because I had purchased it though Small Business. All the
    other reps I spoke to then sounded clearly American. I was relieved to learn
    that my warranty will be good even when my son takes it to study in Spain
    next year.
    My family can order through Small Bus, Education, Health care, or Home.
    I previously purchased through through the Ed division. My first impression
    is that service is best if you order Small Bus.
    Nan
    PS: I kept the 8500, and it is nice. I wanted to switch to a 8600 and a
    faster graphics card, but I got a good deal on this and the price for a 8600
    (similarly equipped) was $600+ higher when I had to decide.

    Whelan, Dec 7, 2003
  11. Ovid

    Ovid Guest

    Thanks for all the tips. I'm still not sure which one to buy but at least I
    have some basis to start with.
    Thanks again,
    -O

    Ovid, Dec 8, 2003
  12. Ovid

    Timmy Guest

    I called them about the wireless router they sent that didn't work right and
    some issues with the machine which was configured differently than what I
    ordered. A friggin' nightmare.

    Timmy, Dec 12, 2003