    Does anyone know if the .11 micron core has any overheat issues?
    My 450 watt power supply is kinda dodgy on the 3.3v rail, which is
    prolly why my 9800 pro is cooking, will this be a problem?

    nyknyk, Mar 25, 2006

  2. nyknyk

    DDC Guest

    yep but it cost something to get a faster card here it around 50$
    "more' canadian.

    But you could consider a x1600xt witch run as fast as a x800xl. and
    cost less.

    DDC, Mar 25, 2006

  3. nyknyk

    First of One Guest

    Are the green artifacts the only reason you are considering a replacement
    card? Either the video card fan is dying, or the heat sink is not properly
    seated. Both can be remedied by a $30 replacement cooler.
    Here's an article with power measurements of ATi cards:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html

    The X800XL can be assumed to have similar power draw as the X800Pro, which
    consumes as much juice as the 9800 Pro (47-48 W). However, the X800 Pro is
    easier on the AGP slot's 3.3 V supply, drawing most of its power from the 5
    V and 12 V lines on the Molex connector.

    Can you find an X800XL AGP at reasonable prices nowadays? Keep in mind the
    7800GS is much faster.

    First of One, Mar 25, 2006
  4. nyknyk

    DDC Guest

    It depend on how well the card use the memonry bandwidth.
    Also the gpu of the x1600xt is really faster than a x800xl one in
    therm of mhz.

    the x800xl as 400mh of power in the gpu and 980mhz for the ram
    as the x1600xt is 600mhz for the gpu and 1400mhz for the memory.

    Also the x1600xt as the pixel shader 3 witch is a big improuvement on
    the quality of the image. in exemple shadows on water are more
    realistic vs the x800xl. Theses two cards are equivalant and this is
    why the x1600xt run as fast as each other.

    Plus i think that gigabyte does a single card with multi-gpu. but here
    it would cost a lot more.

    once i had a x700pro with was 128bit gddr3 and 256mb.

    Now i'm on a x800 128mb 256bits and yes it is faster but in some game
    it wouldn't stand a chance againts my previous 256mb card. SO it
    happend that the x1600xt has 256mb of gddr2/3, then to me it's big
    plus.

    DDC, Mar 25, 2006
  5. nyknyk

    Kent_Diego Guest

    My 9800 pro is starting to get a bit hot (green artifact land) ...

    RMA the card back to ATI. They will send you a new one. If not you could
    slow the memory clock with ATITool to fix.

    -Kent

    Kent_Diego, Mar 25, 2006
  6. nyknyk

    MB Guest

    It costs less because it's slower. There is no way an x1600xt as an
    x800xl.. close maybe but not as fast. The x1600 runs faster and has
    faster ram.... but it's slower in reality because it's only 128-bit
    ram and the GPU is only 12 pixel pipes... the x800xl has 16 parallel
    pipes and 256-bit ram... it would have to be alot cheaper to be worth
    it in the long run....

    MB, Mar 26, 2006
  7. nyknyk

    Geoff Guest

    just get a cooler for it then
    the ones that come with em are crap anyway
    or even, just give the cooler a dust down ?

    Geoff, Mar 27, 2006
  8. nyknyk

    Half_Light Guest

    My X800XL AGP has the molex connector but I see now that they have
    changed the design and they draw all their power from the AGP 3.3v
    slot. Why did they change it? Even the 9800pro I had used a molex
    connector.

    I don't think the X800XL is worth getting if you already have a
    9800pro. That's what I upgraded to and IMO it wasn't that much of an
    upgrade. I would save up for something like a Nvidia 7900 GT CO.

    Half_Light, Mar 27, 2006
  9. nyknyk

    MB Guest

    Should've been a pretty significant upgrade. The 800xl has twice the
    pixel pipes at 16 vs. 8 and the memory is 50% faster at 1Ghz vs.
    680Mhz. Memory bandwidth is a huge difference. If you didn't see much
    of a difference I would assume that your card is either choked by the
    CPU or that your software isn't overly demanding.

    MB, Mar 28, 2006
  10. nyknyk

    nyknyk Guest

    Thanks for all the replies....
    My card works ok with a desk fan blowing over it, so i don't really
    need to replace it, i just use it as an excuse to myself.... heh.
    more stable) power supply for the 3.3volt rail. I've gone through 2
    cheapies that stay stable at 3.23volts, so i think my card is
    browning....

    The XL looks good on paper (16 pipelines and 256k mem, screamer!), and
    it looks like the gpu is juiced down so there's headroom for
    clocking... I can pick em up in australia for around AU$300 so its a
    bit of a bargain, as in bang for buck.

    Really just trying to justify the fork out here....

    nyknyk, Mar 28, 2006
  11. nyknyk

    ==--== Guest

    Yeah, I was going to say something too....

    I upgraded from 9800Pro to a x800xl - I saw a huge improvement.
    FWIW

    ==--==

    ==--==, Mar 28, 2006
  12. nyknyk

    Half_Light Guest

    No, my CPU is AMD64 3500+. I just wasn't wowed by it. Sure it's faster
    but my 9800pro was fast too. It's like upgrading your cpu from say
    1.8ghz to 2.2ghz, there isn't a big difference.

    Half_Light, Mar 29, 2006
  13. nyknyk

    Half_Light Guest

    Guess I'm blind then. :)