Thinkpad 560E: PC- DOS PCMCIA Drivers and EMM386 ?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Fred Mau, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Fred Mau

    Fred Mau Guest

    I'm trying to load IBM PC-DOS 7 onto a thinkpad 560E using the phoenix
    PCMCIA support that comes with this version of DOS. I also need to load
    EMM386 so I can loadhigh some items to free up base memory (I'm trying to
    resurrect an old DOS-based program tht needs all the base memory I can
    spare).

    The instructions in the manual are very sketchy and somewhat conflicting
    about using EMM386 with PCMCIA. One section says to remove EMM386 from the
    config sys file, another section says it can be added with exclude
    statements, the section on the excludes only talks about "memory managers
    other than EMM386".

    So I seem to have three choices - which one is correct ?

    1. I can't run EMM386 at all with PCMCIA
    2. I can run EMM386, but with the 'X=' excludes
    3. The PC-DOS7 version of EMM386 can run with the PC-DOS7 vesion of PCMCIA
    with no modification, the exclude instructions are only for 'other' emms.

    Anybody been there, done that ?

    Thanks in advance.

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Fred Mau

    skygodtj Guest

    PCDOS? Whats that? ;)

    You can't hurt it by running EMM386 with no exclusions, it may just not load the
    drivers. If it doesnt load them, insert the X=xxx exclusion. I think, since
    it's been a while since most people have had to load memory managers before the
    OS loads, based on what you've said is in the doc's, most would just try it each
    way till it works. Not very scientific I know, but probably the quicker way to
    go..

    TJ

    skygodtj, Jul 5, 2003