Thinkpad 600 and aftermarket batteries

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ned, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. ned

    ned Guest

    Anybody pleased with buying re-manufactured batteries for the TP600?
    I bought one. It charged in an hour but got less than 9 minutes
    operation on battery (said ATB brand). Tried several full
    charge/discharge operations to no avail.

    Store promptly sent a replacement (no name on this one). It took
    forever to charge (nearly 4 hours) but worked and I got about 1-1/2
    hours on the battery (doing nothing but letting it run down with full
    power on LCD screen). Did a couple full charge/discharges for good
    measure. Subsequent charge times were about 3 hours, battery lasted
    about 1-1/2 hours. Next day, half way through what seemed like a
    'normal' operation the laptop powered off while running on battery.
    Plugged in the a/c. Power meter said battery was 40% and charging,
    but it stays that way forever. Tried to discharge but pc drops power
    shortly after going on battery.

    Is this typical of the $50-70 reman batteries? Is 1-1/2 hr. about all
    I can expect from the TP600? These "re-mans" I got remind me of the
    used car battery place that just refills with acid and beats the
    plates around with a hammer hoping the customer will get far enough
    away to not bother bringing it back.

    ned, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Re-mans are no good!
    Eagle Imports sell new Japanese batts for the 600. So far have bought
    around 20 with no problems. Look for them on Ebay
    I am having problems with X20 batterys bought from access power
    The first on went nuts after 9 cycles - laptop would not even boot
    with it installed,
    The replcement received today stopped displaying the remaining percent
    at around 50%, then came back up again?
    Maybe a controller problem in the battery

    Bruce Markowitz, Jan 9, 2004

  3. ned

    ned Guest

    Bruce,
    When you say 'new' from Eagle, does that mean everything is new or
    they just install new cells but use the old case and circuit board? I
    thought new cells were what the re-mans did. The place I got these
    from is also Eagle, but in Tenn. Their ad claims New OEM (used case,
    new cells).

    ned, Jan 9, 2004
  4. I don't know anything about your Eagle, I buy new, nothing re-made
    Re-celling Li-Ion is rarely successful

    Bruce Markowitz, Jan 9, 2004