    sailboats, and survived more than one fall off a chart table onto the
    floor, all without a hiccup. Kudos IBM! Too bad later machines didn't
    really measure up.

    John Navas, Mar 24, 2007

  2. John Navas

    Guest Guest

    They were wonderful, weren't they? I honestly think the 600 series was the
    high-mark for Thinkpads.

    I still have a 600X that I can't bring myself to part with. For the most
    part, it lives in the closet, alone, forgotten, but when I do get it out to
    look at an old file or use it for testing something, I'm always amazed at
    just how good that keyboard was. If I could just retrofit it onto a T
    series...

    Guest, Mar 24, 2007

  3. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Agree on both counts.
    Yep. I made the mistake of selling my 600X to a friend in need, and I
    really miss it. I used to be able to visit it now and then, but
    eventually the friendship went down the drain, and that's no longer
    possible. Lesson learned. [sigh]
    No kidding.

    John Navas, Mar 24, 2007
  4. John Navas

    JHEM Guest

    The Bunny should apologize to the 600 series!
    The T23 came closest. My old 600X was the primary NAV unit on both our 37'
    and 57' sailboats and is now retired and living a life of ease on a shelf as
    I can't bring myself to sell it.

    The 600s were absolute bricks and the first choice of many, many
    professional wordsmiths. I still receive an occasional call looking for an
    upgraded 850MHz 600X.

    JHEM, Mar 24, 2007
  5. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Maybe. :)
    Probably, but the lack of USB 2.0 was a bit of a killer for me.

    John Navas, Mar 24, 2007
  6. John Navas

    PJ Guest

    Mine was bought in a pinch as a refurb from IBM Global Financing. Came with
    XP and an Intel PC Card that had both a modem and an Ethernet port.

    Put the HDD on the shelf -- one more Microsoft license not being used. Had
    a PCMCIA wireless card with a 98 driver so put 98se on a new HDD. Last
    year I had to solder in a new CMOS battery -- other than that, this is the
    fifth notebook (fourth TP) I've owned and be far the machine with the most
    longivity.

    PJ, Mar 25, 2007
  7. John Navas

    George Hein Guest

    I'm currently using a T42, very happy with it, my T20 died last year,
    but my 600E is still going strong and my wife refuses to part with it,
    although it requires an external mouse (battery is dead but we hardly
    ever used it anyway).

    George Hein, Mar 25, 2007
  8. John Navas

    Larry Guest

    It feels to me like the T60 has returned to that great keyboard feel of the
    TP600's.

    I have an old TP600e that still works. The only two issues with it are:

    1. The dreaded palm-rest wear issue.
    2. It's barely capable of running XP with decent performance. These were
    Win98/Win2K machines and there's no doubt about that.

    The make great little media centers. Just install your OS of choice, attach
    a USB drive, install the Medie front-end of your choice, and stick it on top
    of your stereo rack. Bang! An overgrown iPod :)

    -Larry

    Larry, Mar 26, 2007
  9. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Annoying certainly, but "dreaded"? ;)
    Max the memory; minimize the number of background processes; and avoid
    things that consume memory and processor. Having done that, I find my
    old 600 does a respectable job of running XP.
    I use one (with a 30 GB hard disk) to run iTunes (under XP), driving
    wireless AirTunes speakers throughout the house. Works wonderfully
    well.

    John Navas, Mar 27, 2007