ThinkPad 600e doesn't display images jpg jpeg gif video

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Tulshi bhakar, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. I have a ThinkPad 600e 2645aau

    ...................ThinkPad 600e 2645aau ........................

    OS Name: Windows 2000 Professional

    Logical Drives
    Hard Disk(C:) Type: Hard Disk Capacity: 6130 MB Free Space: 3640 MB
    Volume Label: File System: FAT32

    Display Settings
    Horizontal Resolution: 1024 Vertical Resolution: 768 Bits per pixel:
    24 Frequency: 60 Adapter: MagicMedia256AV Chip Type: MagicMedia256AV
    BIOS: NM5-1.15.19

    Device Name: IBM-DARA-209000 AR3H

    Device Name: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8174 CY07
    BIOS Information Vendor: IBM Version: INET36WW

    1. System does't display jpg, gif and jpeg images on desktop as
    wallpaper and in IE6 on websites. Images are displayed as red,
    black, blue dots only. It displayes bmp files wery well.

    2. System does't display vedio from dvd or any sourve and any
    formate. Video is displayed with distorted sound and distorted image
    with vertical lines. tryed to play with win media player 9, real
    player 10, winamp 7, power dvd 4 and many more but same result.

    3. Installed Office 2003 and it can display JPG, JPEG and BMP image
    in green dominant color and if you try to stratch it bigger then
    120% it gets distorted and finally is wilt all red, black blue dots.

    3. Now comed funny thing : all images JPG, JPEG and GIG including
    bmp displayes very well in NetScape Navigater 7.1.

    4. Same problem was there with OS windows 98, Win XP and Now windows
    2000.

    5. Bios and driver are lates and greatest.

    6. Tried most of the tips and sugestions available on internet and
    discussion group. Including some help avalable at microsoft.

    7. Tried IE6 menu : View -> Encoding -> all options available

    8. Tried all combination of screen resolution 256 colors, 16 bit and
    24 bits with 600 by 800, 1024 by 768 pixels but no success.

    Need some experienced persons help or some GURU in ThinkPad and
    windows field. It's a challange for me, I need to resolve it.

    Tulshi bhakar, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Am Dienstag, 13. Juli 2004 19:58 schrieb Tulshi bhakar:
    That was extensive information! :)
    Sorry, no idea, I am not using Windows, so I do not know if there
    has to be an extra "jpeg library" installed...??
    Yes, that's normal, unfortunately!

    Your laptop (my brother has the same one) is too slow: the CPU is a
    P-II with 366 MHz, right?

    That's not enough for DVD movies: you most likely will get only sound
    when playing from DVD and sound + bad distorted pictures for other
    formats from small CDs.

    The solution /might/ be: Get a dedicated DVD decoder card, like this
    one here:

    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=3491605955&rd=1

    Warning: I did N E V E R test such a "Margi DVDtoGo Card",
    so I have NO idea whether these items are great or rubish.

    Please get a second opinion from somebody you trust, before buying
    this device: all I can say is it /might/ be the solution.

    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Tulshi bhakar

    EM Guest

    Not entirely true:
    http://www.epinions.com/content_109196447364
    (paragraphs 5+)

    A P2-366 600e can handle DVD playback (satisfactorily), provided you're
    lucky enough to have the right software.

    EM, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Am Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2004 02:15 schrieb EM:
    OK, probably you mean this:

    "Actually, with the latest PowerDVD 4.0 (XP) movie playback is
    a bit choppy, but downgrading to my older version 2.5 of the
    program results in video playback almost as good as on my 1.2GHz
    Pentium 3 T23, which is to say, very good indeed. Extremely
    visually intense scenes can pixelate a bit and there are
    occasional, but very minor stutters"

    Anybody here who _knows_ that the above is true? I find it a bit
    hard to believe that PowerDVD 2.5 could show movies from DVD _so_
    nicely on a Pentium II with 366 MHz.

    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Tulshi bhakar

    EM Guest

    Keep in mind that PowerDVD 2.5 came out at a time when P2/K6 laptops
    were common. The software needed to perform with this in mind.

    My setup: TP-600e, P2-366, 224MB ram, Win98se, LiteOn CD-RW/DVD combo
    drive, PowerDVD 3.0

    I'd say the overall playback quality is around 90%--certainly better
    than one would expect from a P2 machine. The picture quality is
    flawless, but there is a certain amount of "choppiness" during playback
    (I wonder if this is less noticeable in v2.5).

    Of course, I turn off all the processes I can (incl. firewall &
    anti-virus) to free up as many CPU "clicks" possible.

    EM, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Tulshi bhakar

    EM Guest

    At first I would've suspected botched IE6 and/or MediaPlayer installs,
    but then you say that this problem existed in three different Windows
    versions, which MIGHT suggest a hardware problem... unless you were
    using a DEFECTIVE software/codec installation for all three OS's.

    The fact that images show up fine in Netscape kind of eliminates any
    hardware involvement, IMO.

    Have you tried an "independant" image viewer just to see if JPEG viewing
    works there also? Try IrfanView.
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    Maybe reinstalling a few key components would help, such as the NeoMagic
    video driver (downloaded from IBM's support site), IE6 and WMP.

    EM, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Am Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2004 13:08 schrieb EM:
    OK, _that_ was the comment I needed! :)

    Just got it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3687817044

    Now I am looking forward to its performance, will report here ...

    Thanks again
    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 14, 2004
  8. Tulshi bhakar

    EM Guest

    Okay, make that around 95%. Just finished reading an article in "PC
    Upgrade" magazine about how to speed up a laptop for gaming purposes (I
    figured that any increase in gaming performance would translate to
    multimedia applications, such as DVD playback).

    I followed all the relevant advice and am happy to report that the
    playback is far less choppy now, and so are the frame rates in Quake
    (yes, the 600e is amply capable of playing this [old, but still hella
    fun] 3D game). The same holds true for MS's Space Cadet Pinball (the
    ball movement is completely smooth and continuous now).

    The performance-enhancing tips mainly include disabling (NOT removing!)
    unused hardware profiles, such as serial, IR, and parallel ports (which
    are rarely used on laptops). Performance-wise, the worst "offender" is
    the NIC. The 600e doesn't come with an on-board NIC, but I have one
    installed and "running"... and I rarely use it (I put it there mainly
    for convenience). The performance gain was apparent after disabling the
    adapter's profile.

    So... with regards to PowerDVD and DVD playback on the 600e, disabling
    unused hardware and resident protection like an AV and/or firewall will
    most certainly improve playback quality.

    EM, Jul 20, 2004
  9. Am Dienstag, 20. Juli 2004 03:15 schrieb EM:
    Your news are increasingly interesting. :)

    I guess in the end I will really have fine DVD playback on this 600E.
    This week (or nin the next one) most likely my freshly eBay-bought
    PowerDVD 3.0 will arrive, and I am looking forward to giving it a test.
    OK, good advise. But: What's a NIC?

    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Tulshi bhakar

    EM Guest

    EM, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Tulshi bhakar

    John Doue Guest

    Network Interface Card, I guess...

    John Doue, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Am Dienstag, 20. Juli 2004 18:53 schrieb EM:
    I see, thanks. Disabeling that will be easy: we don't use Windows
    for surfing nor mailing, so there is no reason for us to have the
    NIC enabled here. Both www and LAN networking is done when in Linux
    only. :)

    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 20, 2004
  13. Am Dienstag, 20. Juli 2004 03:15 schrieb EM:
    OK, the NIC is disabled. :)

    Now for the great Today my new PowerDVD arrived directly from
    Peoria, AZ (freight costs were just $2.40, sent 15th, arrived 22th
    of same month) and I must say.

    T H A N K S A L O T

    for this very good hint!

    Quickly installed it (comes with its own copy of a Direct-something
    driver) and tested:

    StarGate DVD runs as smoothly as I have never seen it!

    Even the difficult very dark intro sequence run well, and also the
    extensive starting scene wher they drive by car through the desert
    with lots of sandy clouds whirling behind the car.

    Everything is absolutely great. :)

    These people from the PowerDVD company really have done a good job.

    Karl-Heinz

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 22, 2004
  14. Am Dienstag, 20. Juli 2004 03:15 schrieb EM:
    OK, the NIC is disabled. :)

    Now for the great Today my new PowerDVD arrived directly from
    Peoria, AZ (freight costs were just $2.40, sent 15th, arrived 22th
    of same month, by "United States Postal Service") and I must say:

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 22, 2004
  15. Am Dienstag, 20. Juli 2004 03:15 schrieb EM:
    OK, the NIC is disabled. :)

    Now for the great Today my new PowerDVD 3.0 arrived directly
    from Peoria, AZ (freight costs were just $2.40, sent 15th, arrived
    22th of same month, by "United States Postal Service") and I must say:

    T H A N K S A L O T for this very good hint!

    Quickly installed it (comes with its own copy of a Direct-something
    driver) and tested:

    StarGate DVD runs as smoothly as I have never seen it before!

    Even the difficult very dark intro sequence run well, and also the
    extensive starting scene where they drive by car through the desert
    with lots of thin, sandy clouds whirling behind the car.

    Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Jul 22, 2004