    experience in this and I want to see if I can work it out without taking it
    in.
    Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

    Scott Jodzio, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Scott Jodzio

    GomJabbar Guest

    All you need is a Windows Installation CD, which you can buy at any
    computer outlet. I had a 600E and I would recommend Windows 2000.
    Windows XP would probably bog down the slower 600E too much. Of course
    you could also go with Linux.

    GomJabbar, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Scott Jodzio

    obs Guest

    obs, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Scott Jodzio

    GomJabbar Guest

    I am curious Obs, what exactly are the supplement files? I see there
    are none listed for Windows 2000, so it was never an issue for me.

    I did have to update the BIOS however, to have full functionality of
    all the included hardware. I bought my laptop used, and originally it
    came with Windows 98, but the place I bought it from gave me the option
    of having Windows 98 or Windows 2000. Note: Anyone updating their BIOS
    needs to follow the instructions exactly, as it carries a risk of
    damaging the system board if a problem arises.

    You are right about getting the latest drivers to have the laptop
    up-to-date.

    GomJabbar, Jun 23, 2005
  5. Scott Jodzio

    obs Guest

    Here are all the drivers. Pay attention to the

    For 98SE, there is some APMINST.INF file that you
    are suppose to integrate when installing 98SE
    (eg >setup apminst.inf) but I'm not sure what
    exactly this does because I originally installed
    98SE without the APMINST file and haven't noticed
    any difference. Maybe it just forces an APM
    install as opposed to ACPI.

    There is also an APMINST.REG file that you are
    suppose to import to the registry after install
    to remove an IDE controller conflict that shows
    up.

    Also included are ICC profiles and driver for
    the TFT screen.

    You can always just download and take a look at
    what's in the supplement files. The archives
    extract without installing.

    obs, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Scott Jodzio

    kcrispin Guest

    XP runs fine on all 3 of my 600e ThinkPads (wireless connect
    throughout the house,) albeit w/ 288mb RAM each. All boot in under 40
    seconds and I've not had a Ctrl+Alt+Del, or BSOD, since installation.

    KC

    kcrispin, Jun 24, 2005
  7. Scott Jodzio

    senorjefep Guest

    Thinkpads are known to just work. I bought a used 600E, replaced the
    hard drive, installed 228 MB RAM, put in a DVD/CDRW, a wireless card and
    simply installed Windows XP. Everything worked fine. You don't need
    any special drivers or anything. One tip: upgrade the BIOS.

    senorjefep, Jun 26, 2005
  8. Scott Jodzio

    GomJabbar Guest

    Yes, I had to update the BIOS to get full functionality for Windows
    2000. The laptop originally came with Windows 98.

    GomJabbar, Jun 27, 2005