Thinkpad A21 memory

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by John Worman, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. John Worman

    John Worman Guest

    I purchased through an Amazon reseller a memory chip for a Thinkpad A21.

    According to the ad the memory was:
    "SimpleTech STEK860/256 256MB PC100 Non-ECC SDRAM 144pin SODIMM"

    I've read before that PC133 memory is likely to not work, so the PC100
    sounded like what I needed. When the memory arrived, sure enough, it
    was PC133. Sure enough it didn't work. And it wasn't a SimpleTech.

    When I contacted the seller I'm told by them the problem is the memory
    configuration (should be 16X8 instead of the 32X8 they sent) and not the
    speed.

    Everything I've read in these newsgroups say it's very iffy if a PC133
    will work in a Thinkpad. Does anyone know if there are any other
    considerations other than speed.

    If it was my ignorance I'll take my lumps. If not, I want them to make
    it good.

    Thanks,

    John

    John Worman, Mar 24, 2005

  2. John Worman

    JHEM Guest

    It's not your ignorance John and they need to make it good.

    For a 256MB stick for the T2X series (and many other Thinkpads) regardless
    of whether it's PC100 or PC133 it MUST be lo-density, e.g. it must have 8
    memory chips per side, not 4.

    Lo-density PC133 RAM is pretty rare, so hold out for PC100.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Mar 24, 2005