Thinkpad A21 problem

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Jeff, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have an A21 thinkpad. Today after removing some software I
    preformed the required reboot. However, the laptop would not boot
    back up.

    I get the IBM splash screen and I can go into the CMOS settings. I
    can leave the machine in the CMOS settings for over an hour with no
    problems, so I don't believe it is a power ot battery problem.

    Once the IBM screen disappears, the screen blanks then the hard drive
    light flickers a couple of times and then nothing. Nothing else
    happens. I am fairly literate with desktops, but know little about
    laptop hardware.

    Will a dead hard drive cause this? I pulled the hard drive (
    travelstar djsa-220 ) and it when I flip it over I can hear something
    rattle in the drive.

    I changed the boot up device sequence to cd first and put a bootable
    os cd in, but I got the same result.

    Any suggestions would be GREAT !!!!

    Thanks in advance.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Nov 10, 2003

  2. It is possibly a hard drive problem. A thinkPad can act this way when
    it can not find a valid partition (maybe you removed more than you
    thought!)

    Bruce Markowitz, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Last night I loaded the "DiskFitness Test" and everything checks out
    fine. Booting PC dos from the floppy boots up ok.

    Jeff, Nov 11, 2003