1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Thinkpad pointing stick part replacement

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Chris, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    When the trackpoint cap on my Thinkpad A21m recently popped off, I
    discovered the black plastic piece onto which the cap attaches is
    cracked in two (and obviously no longer affixed to the post).

    I stuffed the two pieces back into the cap and put it back onto the
    pointing stick post. The trackpoint still works OK but it feels a wee
    bit loose and I'm concerned the two broken pieces will eventually be
    an issue or the cap/plastic combo will fall off and get lost.

    I've scoured the Web and been through all kinds of manuals trying to
    figure out if that plastic piece is part of the keyboard (and thus I
    could replace the keyboard if it came to that, which I've been
    considering for a while anyway because most of the letter labels have
    chipped off) or some random part that I have little hope of finding a
    replacement for.

    Anyone know if this little piece is part of the keyboard assembly, or
    if there's another way to replace it? It's a squarish black plastic
    piece that sits atop the pointing stick itself underneath the red
    trackpoint cap, probably was once semi-permanently affixed and is the
    part that wiggles atop the stick.

    Thanks for any help or advice.
    Chris, Aug 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. You simply need to replace the keyboard. Takes around 10 seconds to
    Bruce Markowitz, Aug 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.