thinkpad R32 shuts down randomly

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by John C. Rowland, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. I was curious if anybody had recommendations as to where to go from
    here.

    My office ordered three R32's about a year ago. After a year of use,
    all three of these laptops suffer from the same problem, they randomly
    shutdown. We've updated everything per IBM's recommendations and one
    of them failed while under warranty (of course, someone seems to have
    spilled OJ on that one PC a couple months before the symptom
    showed-up, so that voided the warranty.) However, of the other two
    R32's, this started happening within a month or two of the warranty
    expiration. For me, the problem appeared within a two weeks of the
    warranty expiration. It doesn't appear that the other laptops had any
    close encounters of the fluid kind.

    This random shutdown occurs usually 1-3 times a day (assume 7-10 hours
    of use per day) and doesn't seem to be connected with operating on AC
    or battery alone, applications in use, or OS (happens with Windows
    2000SP3 and XPSP1). The only hardware added to these laptops are
    wireless cards and added RAM (1 gig).

    Sometimes the problem crops up with 30 minutes of laptop use and
    sometimes it might take 4-5 hours. I ran IBM's diagnostics and they
    didn't find anything wrong.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    John C. Rowland, Jan 2, 2004