thinkpad R51 warm boots, but not cold boots.

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by twhite17, Aug 20, 2007.

  1. twhite17

    twhite17 Guest

    I have an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad R51(2888-HU1). When I first power on
    the system, nothing happens. I get a green power indicator and a
    green battery indicator, but no video, no beeps, no numeric codes,
    nothing else, UNTIL I press a key. Then the diagnostics appear to run
    fine, I get a single beep, then it boots into the Rescue and Recovery
    mode. If I simply restart from the Rescue and Recovery software (NO
    power cycle) everything works perfect. POST completes, it boots
    successfully into windows xp with no issues, etc.

    I've run the PC-Doctor 5 diagnostics, updated firmware, updated
    embedded controller software, nothing seems to help.

    One other note, I cannot access the "predesktop area" by pressing the
    "Access IBM" key either. Don't know if this is relevant or not.

    The computer resumes fine from Standby mode, but not from hibernate
    mode. It seems that every cold boot fails, but every warm boot is
    successful.

    anyone got any ideas?

    I purchased this computer used as a graduation gift for my son to use
    as he started college. It's worked fine over the summer, but classes
    start Monday and now the computer is acting up.

    Any and all help/suggestions/ideas are appreciated.

    Thanks!!

    twhite17, Aug 20, 2007

  2. twhite17

    John Doue Guest

    1/ Can you get into Bios by pressing F2 on cold boots?

    2 /Since one clear fact is that you cannot access the Predesktop Area, I
    would go into Bios, Security, and disable Accesso to predesktop if it is
    enabled.
    See if this makes a difference. If it does not, hopefully someone will
    have another idea to help you.

    John Doue, Aug 20, 2007