Thinkpad T22 Power-Off on Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by D. Krampitz, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. D. Krampitz

    D. Krampitz Guest

    Hello folks,

    I was hoping someone could help me out. I have had a recent problem
    with my notebook that has rendered it useless.

    While booting up the machine, after about 15 seconds consistently, the
    machine shuts down. Every time, no warning...

    I have taken out the battery and have tried it in an identical
    machine:
    No problem.

    I have tried to plug the notebook in with the AC adapter and no
    battery...same behavior..power off in 15 seconds.

    I have taken out the hard drive and have booted find into XP in an
    identical machine without problem.

    I have taken a hard drive out of another machine, placed it in mine,
    and
    boom, shut down (power off) in 15 seconds...

    Anyone seen anything like this?

    Virus or bad board? How to recover?

    If BIOS virus, how to restore the bios (in 15 seconds?)

    Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it!

    Regards,

    Dave

    D. Krampitz, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Try the following:
    Replace the CMOS battery
    Check the suspend switch that is located on the bezel - sometimes they stick
    Re-seat and re-insulate the CPU
    Are you certain it is shutting off and not just the screen blanking - that
    could be a bad inverter

    Bruce Markowitz, Sep 1, 2004

  3. D. Krampitz

    D. Krampitz Guest

    Bruce,

    Thanks for your reply. I took apart the CMOS battery all wrapped in the
    yellow plastic and replaced it with a CR2032 and now it complains about the
    CMOS on reboot..tried to replace the previous battery but still complains
    about the CMOS...

    And it still shuts down after 15 seconds...and yes, it is powering off, not
    just screen blanking...

    I took out the CPU and put it back in...still shuts down on boot after 15
    sec.

    I am not sure where to locate the Suspend switch 'on the bezel'.

    If my inverter was bad...can it be fixed or do I need a new motherboard?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Dave

    D. Krampitz, Sep 1, 2004
  4. D. Krampitz

    Quaoar Guest

    See if with the replacement battery installed you can boot to BIOS setup
    and set the clock (F2, Del, Esc, or some other key). When the cmos
    battery was removed, the volatile portion of the BIOS settings were
    zeroed and the BIOS knows that something is amiss.

    Quaoar, Sep 2, 2004