Thinkpad T40 Windows 2000 ATI multiple displays (external monitor) only stretch, don't span

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a T40 running Windows 2000, and I cannot get multiple displays
    (attaching an external monitor) to work as I wish.

    I want to run my external monitor on a higher resolution than the laptop,
    and want to use it as a secondary display. I want to drag windows over to
    it, when I maximize them I want them to maximize to that monitor only.

    However, in the ATI Displays tab in display properties->Advanced, it only
    allows me to stretch one monitor onto another, keeping them both at the same
    resolution, so it becomes one continuous desktop of 2048x768 resolution
    rather than two seperate desktops.

    Anyone experienced the same problem? How do I get the display one sees on
    other computers, where you see two distinct monitors side by side in the
    Display properties?

    HH

    Guest, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Guest

    JHEM Guest

    This function is not supported under W2K, even if the video card natively
    supports it, which your's does. Your options are to upgrade to XP, downgrade
    to W98 or get an additional video card such as the Margi Display-to-Go:
    http://www.margi.com/products/prod_dtg.htm

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Mar 3, 2004