Thinkpad X21. Battery ok, thinkpad does not power on

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Alexander Kemp, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I have a problem with my Thinkpad X21. I have two batteries, which both
    deliver (as soon as the system is running) approx 3 1/2 to 4 hrs of
    operation time, so the batteries are ok. But something strange happened to
    me. Since a certain date it is not possible to turn the x21 on if only the
    battery is inserted (no AC power). Only a few minutes after charging the
    battery it can be powered on from battery. As soon as it is running (when
    pluggin AC and Battery it can be turned on), the battery is working fine
    and the system can be disconnected from AC (and send to sleep mode). The
    indicator work for low battery charges, too. However, for a well charged
    battery the over-estimation of the runtime was getting higher (the
    indicator tells hundred hours of runtime directly after charging....).

    Since the problem appeared on both batteries the same day (one was not
    used at all at that time) i have the theory that there is a voltage
    threshold which the battery control electronics in the thinkpad uses to
    determine the state an that this circuit was either damaged or
    miscalibrated by some software problem. Is there a way to readjust this
    circuit?

    best regards,
    Alexander Kemp

    Alexander Kemp, Sep 4, 2006

  2. Alexander Kemp

    Rick Guest

    Google "dead IBM thinkpad" and have fun... Seems to be a whole pile of
    IBM thinkpads out there, crossing many model lines, with power
    management problems. Your lucky - you can still get yours to function.

    Rick

    Rick, Oct 6, 2006