    Could it be that my hard drive is physically OK, but that there is
    corruption?

    Any possibility that running FDISK might save the day?

    PDFrank, Sep 9, 2012

  2. PDFrank

    News Guest

    You haven't mentioned which OS and file system.

    You may be able to run the REPAIR option from the OS install disk.

    Alternatively, if the drive file system is NTFS:

    http://www.ntfs.com/

    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_recovery_concepts.htm

    http://www.ntfs.com/partition-recovery-concepts.htm

    http://www.ntfs.com/mbr-damaged.htm

    News, Sep 9, 2012

  3. PDFrank

    PDFrank Guest

    PDFrank, Sep 9, 2012
  4. PDFrank

    News Guest

    Can you run the REPAIR option from the XP install disk?

    News, Sep 9, 2012
  5. That fact that the software sees drive C: suggests it's working, so running
    FDISK could give you a working partition. But you will still need to get XP
    back on there because everything on the drive, even if all the hardware can
    still be used, will be toast. Do you have any backups from Rescue & Recovery,
    Acronis, Ghost etc?

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 9, 2012
  6. What are you talking about? Have you any knowledge or experience of Thinkpads
    in general or of the X32 in particular? Do you suggest he puts that imaginary
    X32 XP install disk into some imaginary X32 CD drive.

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 9, 2012
  7. PDFrank

    News Guest

    USB CD, as specified in the BIOS boot order.

    Moron.

    News, Sep 9, 2012
  8. PDFrank

    News Guest

    Hence using the REPAIR option on any old CP install disk used in a BIOS
    specified USB boot CD drive.

    Moron^2

    News, Sep 9, 2012
  9. The CD software must find an OS installation in order to repair it. This X32
    does not even have a working partition let alone a repairable installation.

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 10, 2012
  10. PDFrank

    News Guest

    In my experience with both XP and NT4 install disks, the REPAIR option
    is quite effective at partition and OS restoration or can create an
    alternate OS instance non-destructively (assuming space remains on the
    drive).

    No risk and potentially great reward.

    News, Sep 10, 2012
  11. PDFrank

    PDFrank Guest

    Well, I received my recovery discs from thinkpadrestore.com in the mail
    today.

    There is no longer any doubt that my hard drive is a goner. Can't even
    FDISK.

    So I'm off to buy a new one.

    The X32 does have a CD drive, on its docking station.

    PDFrank, Sep 11, 2012
  12. Glad to hear you have the X3 UltraBase and good luck with a new drive.

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 11, 2012
  13. PDFrank

    News Guest

    When you finish setting up the new drive (OS and programs), do an
    Acronis image for future recovery purposes.

    News, Sep 11, 2012
  14. PDFrank

    News Guest

    SSD has become a good value; choose one with low idle current draw and
    it will measurably extend battery life as well as boot quicker. Be sure
    to do an Acronis copy for backup.

    News, Sep 11, 2012
  15. Know where a person can get one real cheap for an R51 series? :) Yeah, I
    know it's older than dirt, but it still works fine. I did a quick search
    for an ATA-6 SSD a couple years ago, but the prices were outrageous,
    especially compared to the SATA ones nowadays.

    Tom Rutherford, Sep 11, 2012
  16. PDFrank

    News Guest

    News, Sep 12, 2012