Thinkpads: IBM vs Lenovo

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ted Kerin, May 23, 2005.

  1. Ted Kerin

    Ted Kerin Guest

    Does anyone know whether the laptops now sold by Lenovo (which is linked
    from the IBM site) are really the same product -- at least for the
    present -- as the laptops recently "made by" IBM?

    I ask because when I bought an IBM G-series Thinkpad in Novermber 2004, it
    was shipped from Shanghai. Which makes me suspect that IBM was already
    outsourcing the manufacturing to Lenovo (or certainly to someone in China)
    before the recent change in corporate arrangements.

    My IBM laptop was stolen in a home burglary, so I'm wondering whether a
    Lenovo laptop would be, in effect, the same product made by more-or-less the
    same people in the same factory as the "IBM" product made 6 months ago.

    Of course, the comparison will become less meaningful over time, as Lenovo
    itself becomes directly responsibe for the design changes and quality
    control. But, since I'm asking about a 6-month-old "IBM" -vs- a new
    "Lenovo", I'm hoping they would be truly equivalent. Any inside tips?

    Thanks...

    Ted Kerin, May 23, 2005

  2. Ted Kerin

    MAG Guest

    They have been made in China for some time now. Every recent T series
    I've purchased has a Made In China sticker...

    MAG, May 23, 2005

  3. Has anyone bought a Thinkpad since Lenovo has taken control and does it
    feel any different?

    hashim.muntazar, May 24, 2005
  4. Ted Kerin

    * * Chas Guest

    I bought an IBM X31 last fall. It was made in China. It came with an
    X-base adapter that takes 3 hands to attach and remove.

    Judging from the poor design of the Xbase adapter, I suspect that it
    was developed by Lenovo rather than IBM.

    FWIW, I've owned 7 Thinkpads.

    Chas.

    * * Chas, May 28, 2005