    But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
    never seen it, ever.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 5, 2004

  2. Yousuf Khan

    Allan Parent Guest

    Yep, at the present time, AMD sports a better CPU at a lower price so it is
    no wonder they are outselling Intel. Good competition between these two will
    only help the consumer.

    Allan

    Allan Parent, May 5, 2004

  3. Yousuf Khan

    KR Williams Guest

    @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, news.20.bbbl67
    @spamgourmet.com says...
    Bums me out. The prices for AMD widgets has gone up, just when
    I'm about to dive in. Bastards! ;-)

    Serioulsy, I've got the guts picked out, simply thinking about a
    case and a graphics card. Suggestions? Note that the case must
    support SuSE and dual monitors. ;-)

    KR Williams, May 5, 2004
  4. Yousuf Khan

    Stacey Guest

    That and prescott appears to be a flop... I'm sure not selling or even
    sugesting anyone buy P4 systems with things the way they are now.

    Stacey, May 5, 2004
  5. Yousuf Khan

    Suen Lee Guest

    Yes it has... for an entire month even. I don't see why its such a big
    surprise, AMD has always been strong in retail.
    http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m4PRN/1999_Feb_26/53962027/p1/article.jhtml

    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

    Suen Lee, May 5, 2004
  6. Yousuf Khan

    chrisv Guest

    Umm... That's RETAIL, and ignores business sales and such.
    They didn't outsell Intel.

    chrisv, May 5, 2004
  7. Yousuf Khan

    chrisv Guest

    But they didn't.

    chrisv, May 5, 2004
  8. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Yousuf Khan, May 5, 2004
  9. Yousuf Khan

    Judd Guest

    Intel still sold over 80% of all CPUs (something like 83%). They killed in
    the notebook market and server markets which have the highest margins.
    Thus, Intel likely profited far more than AMD. It is still a great sign for
    AMD. We'll see what happens this next quarter when Intel ups the ante with
    Grantsdale/Alderwood and a 3.6 GHz part along with Dothan.

    Judd, May 5, 2004
  10. Hmmm, I'm nearly ready to take the toe-dip(?) myself.:) For a graphics
    card, nVidia has come a long way on the 2D and I'm still nervous about
    previous ATI "driver of the week" syndrome results. For a case, I never
    even bother to look beyond Antec now but choose carefully according to the
    power supply if included - the TruePower ones have a thermistor controlled
    fan in the P/S and special connectors for controlling the case fans off the
    same temp measurement. The Plus AMG cases seem to work fine in our office
    and I'm looking at that or the Lifestyle series Sonata for my home system.
    Of course, all their cases satisfy the AMD design criteria for airflow
    though I'd hope that's true of all the other brands.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, May 6, 2004
  11. Yousuf Khan

    RusH Guest

    RusH, May 6, 2004
  12. Yousuf Khan

    KR Williams Guest

    Well... Graphics cards look like a big bugaboo. Unless anyone
    can convince me otherwise, I think I'm going safe: Matrox G550.
    I'm really a 2D kinda guy anyway (and dual monitors are a must).

    BTW, my board of choice is the Tyan 2875S and a Opteron 144. I'd
    like to go more, but the CFO has already expanded the budget a
    few times. Going back for even more may get expensive. ;-).
    Ok... How about the SX1040BII:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-
    120&depa=0 (sorry for the split)
    The Sonata didn't look all that interesting, though I'm willing
    to be convinced otherwise.

    I'm also 99.44% sure I'm going with SuSE (they've even gotten
    smart and are packaging the 64b version along with the 32b
    package).

    KR Williams, May 6, 2004
  13. Any suggestions on what we should put in our next desktop box for our
    top developers? Our current box has dual 2.4Ghz Xeons on a Tyan i7505
    Thunder (S2665), 4 512Mb ECC DIMMs, a 3Ware 7500-4LP with 4 120Gb Maxtor
    drives. The graphics card is a Matrox Parhelia with two 18" LCD monitors
    (Currently NEC LCD1850X).

    Our plan is tentatively a dual Opteron box with 4 SATA RAID drives,
    probably using a 3Ware controller as well. We're hoping for 4Gb of RAM as
    dual 128-bit memory busses. I've looked at many motherboards and they all
    have large numbers of insane drawbacks. (Who thought it was a good idea to
    connect the onboard gigabit LAN to the legacy 32-bit/33Mhz PCI bus?)

    I'd love suggestions on the graphics card and motherboard especially.
    Also SATA RAID recommendations would be appreciated. Anybody have a gut
    reaction of whether a developer would prefer dual xeons or dual opterons,
    assuming they're not religious.

    DS

    David Schwartz, May 6, 2004
  14. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    Yes it has, at least in the very narrow market that is defined as
    "retail desktops".

    Note that "retail desktops" only includes something like 15% of the
    world market. Dell need not apply at all, they don't sell into retail
    channels, just mail order. Business desktops don't count either, and
    certainly laptops, workstations and servers aren't counted here. Only
    the Compaq Presarios and eMachines of the world sold at CompUSA, Best
    Buy, etc. Ohh, and this is only in North America, so all in all
    you're looking at a very small portion of the world market.

    As mentioned above, this is NOT the first time this has happened
    either. Back in the K6-2 days and early Athlon days there were times
    when AMD was beating Intel in the North American retail desktop market
    as well. I think they got up to about 60% of this market at their
    peak.

    In short, this story is lots of hot air, very little substance.

    Tony Hill, May 6, 2004
  15. Yousuf Khan

    Grumble Guest

    http://anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2004&p=6
    nForce3-250Gb: On-Chip Gigabit LAN

    Grumble, May 6, 2004
  16. Yousuf Khan

    chrisv Guest

    That's what I've bought for my last couple office PC's. Just bought
    one a month ago for my latest. They are kind of annoyingly expensive
    for an "old tech" card, though...

    chrisv, May 6, 2004
  17. Continue using Matrox cards, their 2D image quality is excellent. For
    motherboards, I've got good experience with Tyan Thunder K8W. If it's
    too expensive, a Tiger K8W would be cheaper (and mostly as good).

    Bjorn-Ove.Heimsund, May 6, 2004
  18. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Which was all mentioned in the original posting.
    Although at that time, the one difference was that Cyrix was still a strong
    contender, having 15% of the retail NA market. Another difference was that
    back then this was all achieved on the back of a scorched-earth price war
    between the manufacturers. Intel had it's high-end and low-end products, it
    let the low-end participate in the muck against the "cloners" at that time,
    while it continued to rake in profits from the high-end. This time, there's
    no scorched-earth competition going on.

    So there are similarities to 99, but then there are also major differences.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 6, 2004
  19. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Actually, I think the overall total for that one particular week was Intel
    sold only 61% of all CPUs, and AMD sold between 37-38% of all CPUs.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 6, 2004
  20. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    If that is indeed accurate, that would be VERY good news for AMD!
    However I'd be extremely skeptical of that number, that would be more
    than double the amount of chips that AMD was selling just a couple of
    months earlier. If AMD managed even 20% of the total CPU market for
    the week they were doing well, but I'd be surprised if the managed
    anything more.

    Tony Hill, May 7, 2004