  1. LEESA

    me Guest

    What brand SSD upgrade did you buy?

    me, Sep 22, 2009

  2. LEESA

    me Guest

    Of all five netbooks you own, which one you like best
    and why?

    me, Sep 22, 2009

  3. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:54:10 -0500:
    They all are Asus EeePC 700 series class. Why? They were the first and
    has the best sound. Plus they use the keyboard as a heat sink and you
    can throw away the built in fan as long as you don't use them in 95°F or
    higher temperatures. Thus they are truly silent. <vbg>

    BillW50, Sep 22, 2009
  4. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:51:45 -0500:
    Oh I stuck to the stock Asus Phison SLC ones. Except I needed one larger
    than 8GB to try Windows 7 (you need 16GB to install Windows 7). Speed
    and longevity wasn't important so I bought a cheap Super Talent MLC 16G
    for 50 bucks. Pretty slow at writing, but okay for reading. Now that I
    have it installed, I can now move it to a faster 8GB SSD someday. That
    is pretty much all I needed it for. <vbg>

    BillW50, Sep 22, 2009
  5. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    LEESA typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:50:09 -0700 (PDT):
    Yes you can.
    You can burn media too for 60 bucks more with a slimline DVD burner. And
    you can do virtually anything just like any other desktop / laptop with
    a slower processor like a Celeron. Which means virtually anything in
    32-bit short of heavy intensive games and heavy video/audio editing. You
    still can, but it is really slow. <vbg>

    BillW50, Sep 22, 2009
  6. LEESA

    BK Guest

    Hi all
    I have googled and found a lot of companies selling batteries .
    has anyone had experience (good or bad) of buying laptop batteries in UK?
    regards
    Brian
    Ps sorry if this is a multiple post but I cant see any previous posts
    published.

    BK, Sep 22, 2009
  7. LEESA

    Brian K Guest

    Asus 1000HE.

    Brian K, Sep 22, 2009
  8. LEESA

    Star Guest

    I would say exactly what I said in the original post that for the
    price of the NetBook plus the KB, Mouse and monitor you could purchase
    a Notebook computer and for less money a desktop computer either of
    which would be faster, have more storage, memory and allow expansion.

    From your pervious post you appear to be a single user or user with
    partner so I might add with 5 netbooks there is a distinct possibility
    that you like myself have excessive compulsive tendency's <BG>

    My desktop with 3GHZ core 2 duo CPU is dead silent when I am using it
    as I like to listen to music while working and the CPU fan is running
    at 875 RPM.

    Art

    Star, Sep 23, 2009
  9. LEESA

    Ben Myers Guest

    "What do you say to someone who has more powerful computers, etc?" You
    have a fetish, possibly inoperable? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 23, 2009
  10. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In Ben Myers typed on Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:59:13 -0400:
    Well I don't think most people would call my two Gateway MX6124 ('06
    era), Celeron 1.5GHZ, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Intel 915, and DVD burner as
    powerful computers. They don't even have enough power to run Vista or
    Windows 7 well. And they only burn 20 watts each while my netbooks burn
    10 watts each. But they are still more powerful than my netbooks.
    Fetish? Hardly.

    BillW50, Sep 23, 2009
  11. LEESA

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not a fetish. It is usually called masochism when one subjects oneself
    to something unpleasant, and repeatedly, knowing the consequences full
    well. To me, using a computer that is awfully slow is masochistic, no
    matter how energy-efficient the computing may be... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 24, 2009
  12. LEESA

    Daddy Guest

    "It is usually called masochism when one subjects oneself to something
    unpleasant, and repeatedly, knowing the consequences full well."

    Like arguing with a woman.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Sep 24, 2009
  13. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In Ben Myers typed on Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:03:45 -0400:
    How do you figure Ben? 99% of the time my CPU shows 10% or less being
    used. On my netbooks, it is 20% or less. And I buy my computers in pairs
    (usually months apart though). Some people believe in making software
    backups and few actually do them. But virtually nobody but me also
    believes in hardware backups too. Now software backups aren't that
    important as you already have hardware and software backups in the clone
    computer anyway.

    And during the rare times I need lots of CPU power like for video
    converting. Piece of cake, as I just fire up another computer and that
    one task isn't tying up my other work. Even with a powerful computer
    doing video conversions will even bring the fastest computer to its
    knees. But I don't have this problem, now do I?

    Now let's talk about a hardware failure. It doesn't matter what it is,
    fan died, power supply, hard drive, or whatever. Most people would be
    stuck right there. Not me, I'm back in business in seconds. And since I
    have spares, it is very easy to troubleshoot whether the problem is
    either software or hardware related. Not only that, but I don't have to
    guess such things as is it an inverter or the florescent lamp which is
    causing the problem. As I can swap out one and find out for sure.

    So as far as I am concern, I have the best of all worlds. As I have
    spare parts, backups, lots of CPU power stretched over many low power
    CPUs, etc. And whether the manufacture support is there or isn't doesn't
    mean much to me. So you see Ben, there is a very good reason for my
    madness. <vbg>

    BillW50, Sep 24, 2009
  14. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In [email protected]*.* typed on Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:19:14 +1000:
    Well Art, I traveled 10 months ago and I was away for 2 months. And I
    only brought two netbooks with me and no extra storage. I didn't even
    bring a mouse with me. And I was very surprised. I didn't need anything
    else and it worked very well. The only thing I did miss is for some
    tasks was a large external monitor would have been nice.
    Maybe you are used to the noise. As after two months without hearing a
    single hard drive spinning and I got back and heard one. I found it
    really annoying and wondered how I or anybody else put up with that
    noise for so long? Well it isn't so annoying anymore, but I still can
    hear a spinning hard drive. These silent SSD are still very nice. <vbg>

    BillW50, Sep 24, 2009
  15. LEESA

    me Guest

    Are you pretty well sold on Asus net books Bill?

    I'm in market for "another" net book and not sure what
    to get......

    me, Sep 24, 2009
  16. LEESA

    me Guest

    Do you leave your net books plugged in all time when
    using at home as "desktop?

    me, Sep 24, 2009
  17. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:22:13 -0500:
    I keep most of my netbooks in a desk drawer. I don't leave batteries in
    netbooks or laptops when I don't need them. And I don't use batteries
    when I am on AC power either. I do have the AC plugged into an UPS
    though.

    And if I am using a notebook like a desktop like I am doing now. Yes it
    is plugged in (no battery) and three cables plugged into it (power,
    video, and wireless keyboard/mouse TX/RX). And it is nice that I can
    remove just three cables and I am totally portable. So I have the best
    of both worlds.

    BillW50, Sep 24, 2009
  18. LEESA

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:18:29 -0500:
    Naw... there are lots of great netbooks out there. I just know these
    inside and out. Plus I have heard all of the problems that can come up
    with these things and I know them well. And there are even some Asus
    models I would stay away from too. Well most of them actually. lol For
    example, any Asus (or other manufacture) that has the SSD soldered on
    the motherboard, I would stay away from. They are still ok, but if they
    need to be replaced or you want to upgrade, you are simply stuck.

    BillW50, Sep 24, 2009