    Thoth Edit menu has a "Start dictation" entry but choosing it (of the
    Fn Fn shortcut) does nothing.

    Anyone know anything about this?

    Tim Streater, Jan 7, 2014

  2. I am seeing the same behaviour. The Start Dictation command, when
    issued in Thoth, becomes active in the next application you bring to
    the front. I am not surprised at Thoth's misbehaviour, it is still
    using some fossilised input method that was once better than average in
    old style MacOS. For instance you can't delete words with with
    alt-arrow and none of the other faux Emacs keystrokes work.

    It is still one of the better remaining newsreaders.

    Elliott Roper, Jan 7, 2014

  3. Fn Fn should pop up a little dictation mic box pointing at the window
    you're going to dictate into; does that happen? Does it happen for
    another app, like TextEdit?
    Not directly, but I can tell you that dictation even works into a
    Windows program running in VMware's "Unity" mode, with the mic box
    pointing at it, so it certainly *ought* to work.

    Unless it's one of those Cocoa vs Carbon things. Is Thoth that old?

    Cheers - Jaimie

    Jaimie Vandenbergh, Jan 7, 2014
  4. Yep

    Elliott Roper, Jan 7, 2014
  5. Tim Streater

    Lewis Guest

    Thoth is probably still largely OS 7-era code that was lifted from
    Newswatcher/YA-Newswatcher.

    The speech input (and many other features of OS X text) require a
    NSText class, I believe. I would assume there are many things that work
    in OS X that do not work in Thoth. For example, ^A should take you the
    start of a line, and ^E to the end of a line.

    Lewis, Jan 7, 2014
  6. Tim Streater

    M-M Guest

    Fn Fn does not work in Thoth. It works for other apps.

    M-M, Jan 7, 2014
  7. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    Yeah, all that works very well - into f'rinstance a textbox in Safari.
    In fact the first time I tried it in Mavericks it downloaded 0.5 gig of
    "better dictation" or somesuch, which actually does a very good job,
    more or less in real time too. Sometimes it thinks it knows what you
    said, types it in, but then possibly based on subsequent words, will
    backspace and retype furiously.

    Tim Streater, Jan 7, 2014
  8. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    Those two don't work for me in TextWrangler, but there may be some pref
    I haven't got set.

    Tim Streater, Jan 7, 2014
  9. I trust that you mean alt forward-delete, not alt arrow.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 7, 2014
  10. Tim Streater

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 7, 2014
  11. Yes. My mistake. I meant alt-either-direction-delete. More precisely,
    Thoth's deletion is not affected by alt's pressedness as it is in Cocoa
    flavoured input.

    Elliott Roper, Jan 7, 2014
  12. I believe that is true of all Carbon based apps unless explicitly coded
    into the app.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 7, 2014
  13. Tim Streater

    gtr Guest

    What does FN FN mean?

    gtr, Jan 7, 2014
  14. Tim Streater

    Mark Guest

    Press the 'fn' key twice.

    Cheers ... Mark

    Mark, Jan 7, 2014
  15. Tim Streater

    gtr Guest

    I have no key labeled FN. Back in ye olden times the function keys
    were F1, F2, F3... Is that the same as what I call the "pretzel" key
    or the ⌘ key?

    gtr, Jan 8, 2014
  16. Tim Streater

    Graeme Wall Guest

    Bottom left! I had to search for it too.

    Graeme Wall, Jan 8, 2014
  17. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    No. On the extended keyboard it's underneath the F13 key and above the
    delete (not backspace) key.

    You use it to override the fact that many of the function keys are
    taken for things like screen brightness etc. To make them actually be
    real function keys you have to press e.g. fn + f2. Have a look at the
    Keyboard System Prefs pane.

    Tim Streater, Jan 8, 2014
  18. Tim Streater

    Guest Guest

    not all mac keyboards have an fn key.

    Guest, Jan 8, 2014
  19. On older keyboards it may be the similarly placed key marked 'help' -
    I don't have any here to try it.

    Cheers - Jaimie

    Jaimie Vandenbergh, Jan 8, 2014
  20. The MacBooks have a fn, ctl, and alt key. If you don't have the laptop,
    you won't see the fn key.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 8, 2014