  1. Tim Streater

    Mr Guest Guest

    Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote (apparently) in uk.comp.sys.mac on Wed 08 Jan
    2014 19:27:55:
    Having tripped over my Apple USB Keyboard at the weekend it doesn't have
    one and the Help key does nothing similar, suggestions are to remap the
    keyboard to achieve this. This is hooked up to my MBP 13" that does have
    one and works as suggested (after download). Guess I need to find out what
    the other commands are other than "new paragraph", "full stop" and
    "comma".

    Mr Guest, Jan 8, 2014

  2. No need to remap the keyboard. System Prefs -> Dictation and Speech ->
    Dictation -> Shortcut
    It is sort of worth playing. There is a bunch more of them which I have
    already forgotten. I tried for a while, but slow typist as I am, it was
    still quicker to type into Emacs and paste into Thoth than it was to
    dictate into Emacs, correct the mess and then paste.

    Elliott Roper, Jan 8, 2014

  3. Tim Streater

    Graeme Wall Guest

    iMacs have it.

    Graeme Wall, Jan 8, 2014
  4. Tim Streater

    Mr Guest Guest

    Elliott Roper wrote (apparently) in uk.comp.sys.mac on Wed 08 Jan 2014
    20:31:47:
    Ah, good plan. If I persevere with it.
    Even having downloaded 491MB or whatever, it seems my fairly broad Yorkshire
    accent and stubborn headcold cause it to fail quite often even though it
    seems it is checking online. I could not get it to come up with the word
    "bowl", spelling it out puts it there in capitals instead. Apparently
    anything similar I say is "ball" instead.

    Mr Guest, Jan 8, 2014
  5. As has been mentioned, on the extended USB silver keyboard, it's just
    below the f13 key. On the silver Bluetooth keyboard, it's to the left
    of the Control key (i.e., the bottom-left key on the keyboard).

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 8, 2014
  6. Tim Streater

    gtr Guest

    Bottom lef is my control key.

    gtr, Jan 8, 2014
  7. Tim Streater

    gtr Guest

    Min is a Logitech, and so far none of this makes sense on my computer.
    Underneath my F13 is "Clear" from the number pad.

    gtr, Jan 8, 2014
  8. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    A logitech *what*? I said - extended keyboard. What's so hard about
    that to grasp, eh?

    And as has *also* been pointed out, go to System Prefs ->
    Dictation&Speech and you can set it to any fucking thing you like.

    Tim Streater, Jan 8, 2014
  9. Tim Streater

    gtr Guest

    I'm not using dictation or speech, so I don't give a shit about that.
    Clarifying "fn" It's clearly a source of stress for you; just let it go.

    gtr, Jan 8, 2014
  10. Tim Streater

    Mark Bestley Guest

    Looing at the Apple keyboard latous here
    <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2841?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>

    the Bluetooth wirless and laptop have the fn key in bottom left hand
    corner

    The keyboard with numeric pad has it as the top left key in the block of
    6, they key above delete.

    Mark Bestley, Jan 8, 2014
  11. Tim Streater

    gtr Guest

    I see. My Logitech S530 Mac extended keyboard has no fn key. That
    "block of 6", has only five: Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, and Delete.
    I do remember than fn key on my wife's abandoned MacBook. As a big
    hot-key user it was a real inconvenienc.e

    gtr, Jan 9, 2014
  12. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    I didn't need it clarifying. A certain number of people apparently did.

    Tim Streater, Jan 9, 2014
  13. Tim Streater

    Jim Guest

    Some third-party keyboards (even though they're ostensibly Mac in
    layout) may lack this key, especially if they're a few years old. As
    will older Apple-made keyboards.

    I think it's something Apple started doing with their laptop keyboards
    in order to lose the requirement to have dedicated keys for screen
    brightness and speaker volume - instead, certain of the F-keys doubled
    up for those functions by use of this 'fn' key. Then they started to use
    it on their full-size keyboards as well (for the same reason).

    My third-party DasKeyboard has the 'fn' key, but then it's only a year
    or so old.

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 9, 2014
  14. Tim Streater

    gtr Guest

    This keyboard (logitech S530) is ancient, and I'm so enamored of it I
    chased down a duplicate on EBay last year. I love this thing.

    Nevertheless I'm a big fan of hot-keys and so have programmed dozens
    with QuicKeys. KeyCue is a utility that gets plenty of work too, since
    I tend to forget old hotkeys when I go back to old programs.

    http://www.ergonis.com/products/keycue/

    I could always use another function key.

    gtr, Jan 9, 2014