Thougths on ASUS P5K Deluxe MB for new system

Discussion in 'Asus' started by someone, Sep 4, 2007.

  1. someone

    someone Guest

    I and a couple friends are looking to build a new system. We will run
    Vista and were looking at the Bang for the Buck system on extremetech,

    I am using a system not that was pretty much the previous BFTB system
    suggested by extremetech but their new one uses the Gigabyte mb and
    I'm sort of an ASUS fan. I use their suggestions as a starting point
    and make some changes here and there and in this case for sure the MB
    must be different, one of the friends needs firewire for example, none
    of us will ever need two video cards etc., so some changes. I would
    also use the E6850 Intel chip in my system, two 500 gig Sata III
    drives running Raid 0 and a third Sata drive for drive backup. Still
    not sure about going SATA on the CD/DVD burner yet but will have to
    look into that.

    My question is regarding the P5K MB and it seems there are some issues
    with the board so I'd love to hear from those who are using the board
    with success and what their configuration is and also those who have
    had problems with the board. A lot to ask but it sure would help and
    maybe will help many others who are also looking at a P35 based board.
    One onther point, I'm not sure I want or need DDR3 memory..

    Thanks,

    Gene

    someone, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Running P5K Deluxe with E6850 and Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 at 1067
    Mhz. Have had absolutely no problems, but realize that a 2 slot
    videocard will block the PCI slot below the PCI-Express slot and long
    videocards can make accessing SATA 1 & 2 connectors difficult if not
    impossible.

    [email protected], Sep 5, 2007

  3. someone

    Juarez Guest

    Just built this about a month ago and have no issues at all.

    P5K mb (basic, not Deluxe or Premium)
    E6850 CPU
    4x1gb Patriot Signature DDR2-800
    1 EVGA 7900GT KO Video card