Three year old IBM T40 - Black screen with slightest movements

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Liming Zhu, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. Liming  Zhu

    Liming Zhu Guest

    T40 + WinXP
    It starts normally. But during a start-up or normal usage, a slightest
    movement will cause a total black screen. Sometimes, even after the
    black screen, it will continue to boot-up (I can hear the start-up
    sound and sound from certain program running, e.g. signing in skype..
    ). But sometimes, it will go to some unknown state (harddisk led not
    blinking in anymore.. ) after going black screen.

    Self diagnostic using IBM's utility (with no movement of the machine at
    any time) shows only one bad hard disk sector (ECC error). I don't know
    when that error came in since I never did any diagnostic before this
    incident.

    Any suggestions? I have tried to connect an external monitor with it.
    With a slight movement, both screens will go black... so I think it is
    not the "inverter problem" as I read from another thread..

    btw, If it is the hard drive problem, can I replace the harddrive
    myself? I am a bit unsure because:
    1. the original windows xp seems to be on a partition instead of a
    separate CD. I do have the license sticker on the bottom of my machine
    though.
    2. what about those IBM programs (through "access ibm").. as I
    understand, they are also on a partition on the hard drive?

    Thanks a lot.

    Liming Zhu, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Liming  Zhu

    John Navas Guest

    Bad sign. Suggests shock damage to the computer.
    Run DFT on the hard disk to see if it can fix it, or if the hard disk
    should be replaced.
    Also correct.

    Assuming the hidden partition is intact, you should use IBM software to
    transfer the old disk to the new disk. Or create recovery CDs in the
    Rescue and Recovery predesktop area. Or get them from Lenovo.
    <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46479 >

    John Navas, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Liming  Zhu

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Very first step would be pull out the HD and reinstall it to see if
    it makes difference.

    Tony Hwang, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Liming  Zhu

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    How about pulling out the HD and reinset it. May be loose connection.

    Tony Hwang, Aug 20, 2006
  5. Liming  Zhu

    Larry Guest

    I have had to send dozens and dozens of T40's to EZServe due to movement
    related lockups, crashes, reboots, etc....

    -Larry

    Larry, Aug 22, 2006
  6. Are the subsequent T42/43 alleged to have a weakness in this area as well?
    I'm trying to be sensitive to good value used Thinkpads if my current T30 ever
    starts pining for the fjords.

    Art

    Arthur Shapiro, Aug 22, 2006
  7. Liming  Zhu

    JHEM Guest

    No, the late parrot syndrome seems to have been most prevalent in the T40s
    and T41s.

    The problem is due to a manufacturing defect on the planar where the GPU
    attaches. Most often seen after someone has picked the machine up one-handed
    by the lower left corner of the palmrest and manifests itself as either a
    garbled/blanked display or a complete lockup.

    Hopefully there will be an Engineering Change Announcement (ECA) and
    warranty extension for these machines akin to the one that was in effect
    until recently for the T30 series.

    JHEM, Aug 23, 2006
  8. Liming  Zhu

    Larry Guest

    I've had a _few_, but nothing like the T40's.

    -Larry

    Larry, Aug 23, 2006