Throwback: My HP 9000 712/60 setup...

Discussion in 'HP' started by Blake Patterson, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Blake Patterson, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Blake  Patterson

    David Evans Guest

    I have a 712/60 under my desk (although mine was free!) and it's
    a nice machine. The display takes a little getting used to (especially
    the stripes that appear in scrollback wells) but it's not a problem.

    David Evans, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Blake  Patterson

    CBee Guest

    What's the current state of NeXTSTEP? What's to be done with it?

    My 712/80 is running debian (might go to gentoo) linux. It is a verry nice small
    home-office-server.

    You might find nice details about your hardware at http://www.openpa.net/
    (http://www.openpa.net/systems/712.html)

    Success with it.

    CBee

    CBee, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Blake  Patterson

    David Evans Guest

    What do you mean? NeXTSTEP won't see any further development, so from
    that point of view, "nothing" is to be done with it. OTOH, it can still
    be useful, so "stuff" is to be done with it. :)

    David Evans, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Blake  Patterson

    CBee Guest

    Well, actually I know NeXTSTEP only from the mentioned site, that it was (is?)
    available for a 712. I've never seen it any where.

    Your pages make me curious to it. Do you have some internet pointers in where
    and how to get a trial version or where I can see more information?

    What I recall from 10 years ago (or longer) it was a verry prommising system,
    kind of like where/what Apple-s OSX currently is.

    while typing this, I have many more questions about it, like how it performs and
    what is available for the system. On the other hand, it has to fight with many
    other nice things I always wanted to do...

    CBee

    CBee, Feb 24, 2005
  6. Blake  Patterson

    David Evans Guest

    Ahhh. Yes, HPPA support was introduced with 3.2 which came out,
    what, October 1993ish? 3.3 was about a year later, I think. There
    was no HPPA in 4.2, but I think there was in 4.0PRmumble.
    Information is spread all around, I'm afraid, and I don't have any
    current links. There is no trial version as it contains material owned
    by various organisations. However, 3.3 RISC CDs do show up on Ebay
    from time to time.
    That's not too surprising, as OS X is basically NeXTSTEP 5.
    It preforms pretty well on contemporary hardware and flies on modern
    iron.

    David Evans, Feb 24, 2005
  7. Blake  Patterson

    John Burns Guest

    We've sold one or two 715s with NeXTStep over the years. I have a set of
    CD media but it's awkward to install (I'm probably doing it wrongly).

    On a 715/100 is really flies along. I've heard a B132 will also run it
    but not tried. I know the 64 bit systems won't.

    Nice OS. I almost bought a brand new NeXT when they first came out, very
    expensive so bought my first BMW instead!

    John Burns, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Blake  Patterson

    David Evans Guest

    I don't recall any major headaches getting it together on my 712.
    Is the 715 somehow nastier?

    David Evans, Feb 24, 2005
  9. Blake  Patterson

    WNG Guest

    Hi, I've been lurking for a while.

    I went to your site and found it very nice!

    I suppose HP hardware is better than NeXT.

    Cheers!

    WNG, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Blake  Patterson

    David Evans Guest

    Ahhh, OK. I'm not a PA-RISC guy at all. I have NS on my 712 and I used
    to rlogin to something...a 735, maybe?...to read Usenet. But that's it.

    David Evans, Feb 24, 2005
  11. Blake  Patterson

    Rick Jones Guest

    It may depend. There were something like six or seven different
    9000/715's - the first three - the /33 /50 and /75 - predate the 712
    and were based on one CPU and chipset that was not the same as the
    9000/712's. The second three /64, /80 and /100 (and /100XC IIRC) were
    based on the same CPU and chipset as the 712.

    rick jones

    Rick Jones, Feb 24, 2005
  12. Blake  Patterson

    Rick Jones Guest

    The commands uname -a and/or model (under HP-UX at least) will tell
    you what the box happens to be. The 9000/735 was a very nice system -
    had one as my personal workstation for a while. It came in two
    versions - the /99 and later the /125. One could select from Thinnet
    (10Base-2), Ethernet AUI (to go to RJ45 with a transceiver or I
    suppose even thicknet - 10Base-5 IIRC) or FDDI as the "core"
    networking interface via what was called the "Slider" card - all the
    I/O being given codenames based on baseball :)

    The FDDI card offered checksum offload (CKO) akin to its HP-PB (aka
    NIO) cousin, and did header-data split with help from the CPU (unlike
    its HP-PB cousin which had room for an ASIC to determine the split).

    rick jones

    Rick Jones, Feb 24, 2005
  13. Because HP-UX 10.20 (with CDE and everything) wasn't really workable on
    my 715/33 (the older architecture) with only 32Mbyte RAM, I tried
    NeXTSTEP 3.3/RISC on it. I found a CD-ROM somewhere and just booted it,
    and it installed.

    Alex van Denzel, Feb 24, 2005
  14. Blake  Patterson

    John Burns Guest

    I suppose HP hardware is better than NeXT.

    It's just been in continuous development for longer. HP got a big boost
    when they bought Apollo in the early 90s. I run an HP C360 as my main
    machine now, VERY fast and well made.

    John Burns, Feb 25, 2005
  15. ironically, this doesn't work in nextstep. it's also no picnic to get
    uname to compile from source.

    jeremy

    Jeremy Adrian Barrett, Feb 25, 2005
  16. Blake  Patterson

    erauch Guest

    This is very cool!. I always wanted a NeXT cube. Even got a few
    programming books off ebay if I ever came across one. In the mean
    time I just came into possession of a whole bunch of varios HP Risc
    boxes and SCSI Storage towers etc. One of my units is the 712/60,
    also have a 715/64. HOW Do I get ahold of a copy of NeXT Step OS to
    install on this box?? Is buying it off eBay the only way?? Somebody
    Help!?
    Thanks,

    Ed

    erauch, Mar 6, 2005