    processors? (other than speed, of course) Do the XP processors run cooler?
    Just curious....

    Tom

    Tom, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Tom

    Ed Guest

    Full support for Intel's SSE instructions (Opteron supports SSE2)
    An improved hardware data prefetch mechanism
    Enhancements to the Athlon's Translation Look-aside Buffers
    Smaller die size (.13 vs .18) = Lower power consumption
    On-die thermal diode

    Bartons may run even a tad cooler due to more core surface area
    contacting the heatsink.

    Ed
    AMD info Links,
    http://tinyurl.com/cu77

    Ed, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Yes and no. The original Athlon XPs with the Palomino core were still
    0.18µ parts, but did run cooler than the TBirds do to various other
    improvements. The move to 0.13µ with the Thoroughbred allowed using
    lower core voltages, wheich in turn reduced the power consumption for
    clock cycle again. Without lower core voltages, you'd only get higher
    leakage currents (which are generally relatively low with Athlons as
    opposed to 0.13µ Pentium IIIs and 4s, but have increased with the die
    shrink).

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Tom

    Ed Guest

    Yep your right, I forgot the Palomino was still a .18, things sure move
    slow in the tech world! ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Jul 27, 2003