    the most. My main question is on a 64mb card is there any tweaks or options
    in game or with the drivers that i can change to free up more video memory
    to allow games like COD to run higher resolution textures more smoothly?

    Hard75, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Video memory usage is a complex and interesting subject. As you are
    learning, it's a unified 64M that accomodates the frame buffer and the
    texture data, among other data.

    This link is a cool tool that helps you quantify the amount of memory
    required for running an application at a certain resolution, buffer amounts,
    texture requirements...while it isn't perfect, it's intersting and
    informative and helpful to your question:

    http://www.planetquake.com/rocketland/haqsau/vidmemcalc.shtml

    To directly answer you: Yes, there are IQ (image Quality) settings that can
    prioritize texture quality over other IQ elements (such as resolution) to
    achieve higher FPS. However, each game/application has their own specific
    tweaks, and only you can decide if the tradeoffs are worth it...based on
    your monitor/other hardware, perceptions, desires, etc.

    Derek Wildstar, Feb 17, 2004