Tiger K8W, Corsair RAM, hung at d4 checkpoint

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Matt Smith, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Matt Smith

    Matt Smith Guest

    I'm buiding a machine using the following components:

    Motherboard: Tiger K8W (S2875)
    Processors: (2) AMD Opteron 246
    RAM: (2) Corsair CMX512R-3200C2 512MB DIMMs
    Audio: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Video: Asus V9980 Ultra (GeForce FX 5950Ultra, 256M DDR)
    Power Supply: Antec True550 EPS12V (550W)
    (4) Western Digital SATA hard drives
    Sony DVD-RW
    Sony DVD-ROM

    Everything powered up the first night, and I plundered around in BIOS, etc. The
    next day, when I went to install the OS, I got a BIOS checkpoint code of "d4",
    which AMI lists as the following:
    "Test base 512KB memory. Adjust policies and cache first 8MB. Set stack." Since
    then, I've been unable to boot, just get the d4 error early in the POST.

    Tyan's tech support indicated it could be DIMMs that are "too aggressive in
    timing." Before I attempt to swap memory, I wanted to see if anyone has used
    the memory I have in a similar setup. When I dug a little deeper at Corsair's
    and Tyan's websites, the memory they list as compatible is in the "CM" family as
    opposed to the "CMX" memory that I have.

    So, here's my 2 questions:
    (1) Does that BIOS checkpoint description really point to a probable RAM issue?
    (2) Does it make sense that the CMX Corsair RAM is too aggressive for the mobo,
    and now preventing it from booting?

    Thanks much to anyone with any advice!

    Matt Smith
    matt_l_smith at hotmail.com

    Matt Smith, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Matt Smith

    bebopper Guest

    I have four sticks of TWINX1024R-3200C2 PC400 and have had very few
    problems. A few post errors until I turned on Chipkill in the BIOS.

    bebopper, Oct 30, 2004