    ???

    TIA

    - bebopper

    bebopper, May 10, 2004

  2. bebopper

    bt Guest

    I put an Enermax 465W 3-in-1 power supply in my system. I am using the
    EPS-12 connector so I do not need to use an extra drive cable connected to
    the motherboard.
    What kind of setup will be running?

    BT

    bt, May 10, 2004

  3. bebopper

    bebopper Guest

    I'm going to put in a pair of Optys .. not sure what speed
    yet. I guess I'll figure that out once I buy everything else.... I
    ordered a 1GB TwinX1024RE-3200LL RT for memory.

    Also a WD Raptor 74GB SATA drive (which can use a standard
    4-pin power connector.) I plan to re-use my case and at least one of
    my 80-GB Maxtor IDEs for data, maybe both. I have a CD and DVD-R
    burner.

    I understand the K8W can use a regular 350W EPS-12 PS. I'm
    wondering what the advantage of going ATx12v would be - also native
    SATA power connectors. There may not be any, but I'm not too savvy
    about power supplies.

    Thanks !!

    - bebopper

    bebopper, May 11, 2004
  4. bebopper

    bt Guest

    First if you are going with pair of Optys you need a power supply with more
    then 350W of power. Personally, I would not go below 450W. As for using
    ATX-12V the only advantage would be that the units are a little cheaper to
    manufacture and can be used in more systems. However if you do use one with
    this board you will need to use one of the 5 1/4 plugs to provide extra
    power to the board. As for the SATA connectors, the board comes with
    converters from the standard power plug to SATA. I was told by Tyan that if
    you will be using four or more hard drives that a ATX-EPS power supply
    should be used for stability.

    My current setup is:
    Enermax 3-in-1 465W Power Supply (This should have more watts)
    Tyan Tiger K8W
    2x 240s
    1GB (2x512MB) PC2700 Micron
    Sony DVD+-R/RW
    Sony CD-RW
    WD 80GB Special Edition
    WD 200GB Special Edition
    Gainward GeForce FX5900TX (This card takes alot of power)
    Sound Blaster Audigy

    bt, May 11, 2004
  5. bebopper

    bebopper Guest

    Thanks !! That was very helpful. The Raptor can take a
    standard 4-pin Molex. I'm not sure why SATA needs a new power
    connector to begin with?? I guess I'll look for a 480W or 500W to be
    on the safe side. I don't expect to go beyond 3 HDDs, but you never
    know..

    I'll also be driving a GeForce FX 5200 and and an Audigy ...

    Cheers,
    - bebopper

    bebopper, May 11, 2004
  6. bebopper

    bebopper Guest

    For the record, I went with the Vantek Stealth VAN-520 ($101.00 at
    Newegg) This has 3 fans (adjustable) , 10 Mobex connectors, a 24-20
    pin converter and several aux 4,6 and 8 pin as well as two floppy
    connectors.

    It handles 620W peak. The cables are looonnnggg too !! I suspect
    this should hande anything I throw at it ...

    Thanks,

    - bebopper

    bebopper, May 11, 2004
  7. bebopper

    bt Guest

    Serial ATA requires a new Power connector so you can hot swap the drives,
    other then that there is not really a difference.

    bt, May 11, 2004
  8. bebopper

    bebopper Guest

    That makes sense ... I've never seen the reasoning behind it.
    Thanks !!

    - bebopper

    bebopper, May 11, 2004