    worked in the old machine . the tiger mpx refuses to take notice of the
    512mb module .

    any ideas ?

    wolfgang schneider, Dec 17, 2005

  2. My motherboard (Thunder K8SE) requires that memory modules be installed
    in pairs. I suspect yours is the same. I don't find 'tiger mpx' listed
    on the Tyan site, so I'm not sure which MB you have.

    Martin

    Martin Shoemaker, Dec 17, 2005

  3. it is the s2466n-4m and tyan says it can be mixed as it comes ( which i
    wouldn't want to do . 2gb as apair and the third module just as an
    addition . maybe someone else ....

    wolfgang schneider, Dec 17, 2005
  4. wolfgang schneider

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Even if it was possible to mix different SPEED memory modules (and I'm very
    surprised if they're claiming this is possible), I wouldn't want to do so in
    your case due to the slow down that the remaining modules would have to
    undergo (again if this is even possible in the first place). Its akin to
    installing an old hard drive or CD ROM on the same IDE controller channel as
    the main HDD. I have an S2460 (Tiger MP) and Tyan dual Athlon machines from
    that era are VERY picky about memory. If you need more than 2 GB, the best
    bet would be to sell off the old DIMM 2nd hand and buy another of the same
    brand and characteristics as the two which work fine.Having 3 modules in
    itself wont be a problem as these boards don't need modules in pairs. My
    suggestion would be to stick with the Samsung ECC Registered 2100 as I found
    other brands of the same specs (eg Micron) to be problematic (even though
    the correct spec) with my machine - haven't had a memory problem since going
    with the identical Samsung ECC Registered DIMMs.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Dec 29, 2005
  5. thanks for this reply . i don't NEED more than 2gb .

    the former board (same chipset) ran perfect with this mixed modules
    without slowing down . so i simply wondered if ....

    wolfgang schneider, Dec 30, 2005