    Anybody know what the 1-2 salute means?

    Cheers,
    Doc

    Doc Miller, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Doc Miller

    Bruce Burden Guest

    :
    : Anybody know what the 1-2 salute means?
    :
    According to bioscentral.com/beepcodes/phoenixbeep.htm,
    it means CPU failure. That is, 1 beep, pause, 2 beeps.

    Or, it is possible that it is a motherboard problem. In
    the respective case, replace the CPU or motherboard.

    Bruce

    Bruce Burden, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Doc Miller

    Doc Miller Guest

    Ouch! Do they differentiate between long and short? This one is one long
    and two shorts. CPU failure makes sense - I just hope it is something
    cheaper :-(

    Thanks for the link!

    Cheers,
    Doc

    Doc Miller, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Doc Miller

    Bruce Burden Guest

    :
    : Ouch! Do they differentiate between long and short? This one is one long
    : and two shorts. CPU failure makes sense - I just hope it is something
    : cheaper :-(
    :
    Hmmm, I think I read the web page wrong. The CPU/MoBo
    signal is actually 2 longs, 2 shorts. If I recall, Tyan
    makes the single beeps longs, else they are multiple shorts.

    The only thing listed for 1-2 is for a Dell, in that
    you have a bootable controller w/out any bootable devices
    attached.

    Bruce

    Bruce Burden, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Doc Miller

    Paul Murphy Guest

    I'm unsure of what the beep code means but if you try 1 CPU at a time in the
    motherboard that should confirm if its a CPU issue (unless of course you
    only currently have one CPU in your Dual CPU capable motherboard)..

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Jul 5, 2005
  6. Doc Miller

    default Guest

    According to the Phoenix bios documentation, 1-2 is error 98h, "Search for
    option ROMs, One long, two short beeps on checksum failure."

    Perhaps check any add-in cards that they are well seated and ok. If so,
    remove cards one at a time to find the culprit. Cards with ROMs are usually
    disk controllers, scsi controllers, videocards etc.

    default, Jul 8, 2005