    single pack and the family (five user) pack? -- There is a rumor here in
    Sweden that the family pack version isn't as good as the single user one,
    so people do not dare to buy it.

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005

  2. It's the *exact* same software -- the difference with the family pack
    is that you're *legally* allowed to install it on five computers in a
    household. There's no "lite" or "home" version of OS X. You'd be
    getting the full version, whichever one you buy.

    Apple doesn't yet use any kind of serial number or registration scheme
    with the MacOS, so they don't need to do anything special with the
    familyi pack to make it installable on multiple computers. You could
    do it with the single-user pack if you wanted, in violation of the
    license agreement, but the family pack really makes the price very
    reasonable to do it the right way. (And a 5-user family pack is the
    same price as just one Windows XP upgrade!)

    Garner Miller, Jun 22, 2005

  3. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    Does the family pack contain only one DVD or five?

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  4. Just one, I believe. As I said, the difference is strictly in the
    licensing agreement.

    Garner Miller, Jun 22, 2005
  5. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    So Apple wants users to be more honest than Steve Jobs, without rewarding
    them for it.

    The license agreement is somewhat strange, because over here, families are
    scattered across the city, whereas students live at home. It must be
    designed for idealized North American living styles.

    It would have been better for Apple to issue five packs, with five DVD's,
    because people would have switched rather quickly to Tiger. This would
    then have served as preparation for the next Intel based OS, which will
    obsolete Tiger in one years time.

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  6. What do people believe to be wrong with the family pack?

    Tom Harrington, Jun 22, 2005
  7. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    Right now, it seems that it costs 54% more and does not have anything that
    the business pack does not have. I think that somebody bought it, and
    could not see any advantage of it. It could be a popular rewriting of ill
    thought through Apple policies. Incidentally, I called inWarehouse here in
    Stockholm, and they have one (!) copy of the family pack, but nobody has
    bought it; perhaps people are not willing to pay 54% more for nothing. A
    local company here selling exclusively Macintosh related products, says
    that the business version is better, and that than the family version is
    not recommended for business users. It could be a politically correct way
    to say what everyone already knows. They perhaps cannot sell the family
    pack, risking making their consumers upset.

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  8. There is only one version; all the family pack does is provide a license
    to install the OS on up to five computers in one household.

    There is no "business version."

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 22, 2005
  9. That's a "rumor"? I would think anyone who cared could easily verify
    this for themselves.

    Tom Harrington, Jun 22, 2005
  10. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    On the Apple Store site, it is called "single user license for home or
    office". I used the word "business" in order to distinguish it from the
    family version, as to not make use of the confusing "single user" and "5
    licence" terms. It could be that I picked up the wording from local
    practise over here.

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  11. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    Perhaps they are slower over here. Somebody spoke to me about the family
    pack as a good economic alternative to the single user one two days ago,
    which got me start thinking about it. The fellow was under impression that
    one got five DVD's. Then somebody had bought it, saying it was no good,
    not saying exactly what was wrong with it. And then a local business firm
    warning against it, as being no good for businesses. I only got the
    explicit details here, in this list, from you.

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  12. If you haven't noticed, Hans objects to everything Apple does; he's
    probably just making things up.

    Matthew Russotto, Jun 22, 2005
  13. Hans Aberg

    Steinar Moum Guest

    Strange. Usually sweedes are resonably bright people.

    sm

    Steinar Moum, Jun 22, 2005
  14. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    If you haven't noticed, Hans objects to everything Apple does; he's
    probably just making things up.[/QUOTE]

    No spoofing here. What is it that you do not believe?

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  15. There's no difference in the media. The difference consists of a sticker
    added to the outside of the box proclaiming it a family pack and a
    1-page addendum to the license inside the box describing the altered
    terms.

    Gregory Weston, Jun 22, 2005
  16. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    What is your problem?

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  17. I don't follow that causality at all.

    How, please?

    The next Intel based OS is going to be a revision of Tiger. In one
    year's time, some models of Mac will be Intel-based (but not most). By
    what measure will Tiger then be obsoleted?

    Gregory Weston, Jun 22, 2005
  18. Other than the right to install on multiple machines?
    There's no difference in the actual product.

    The family pack license is not valid for business users. That is an
    excellent recommendation against using it in such installations.

    Gregory Weston, Jun 22, 2005
  19. Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg Guest

    And you only have to pay 54% more money to get that. I wonder what Apple
    will come up with next. Perhaps "Family Mac's", which are identical to the
    commercial ones, only that for 54% more money, they come with a 1-line
    licence addition that more than one member of a nuclear family living in
    the same residence can legally use it; family members that are students
    residents on a campus may though not use it while being home on semester
    breaks. :)

    Hans Aberg, Jun 22, 2005
  20. You purchase the right to make 400% more working copies (with certain
    limitations) for a 54% greater price. What's the matter with that?

    Matthew Russotto, Jun 22, 2005