Tiger's Font Book Significantly Improves Font Organization

Discussion in 'Apple' started by James L. Ryan, May 2, 2005.

  1. Since seeming time immemorial, using only Apple supplied font management
    facilities, all of the individual font files have been dumped into just a few
    folders, and a single folder could end up with literally hundreds of such
    font files, and it could happen that a single font family could often be made
    up of quite a number of separate files. There are some of us, myself
    included, that found such disorganization unappealing, and some of us, again
    myself included, would take the time to carefully organize the constituents
    of a font families into their own folders--at least this subordination into
    individual folders was honored by the system's font management facilities.

    Now with Tiger life has been made inordinately less painful. Font Book, which
    presents fonts as families, allows one to export a selected set of families
    and the resulting folder created by this export will contain a sub-folder for
    each font family, and within that sub-folder will be all of the constituent
    parts of that family. One can use this capability to organize their fonts and
    then replace the unorganized sea of fonts in a single folder with the now
    clustered font families.

    What once took hours now takes minutes!

    And, I hope this all makes sense!

    James L. Ryan, May 2, 2005

  2. [commenting on the features of Tiger's improved Font Book]
    I tried it and it worked! I highlighted all of my fonts, selected the Resolve
    Duplicates from the menu and within a few seconds all of the duplicates were
    resolved. My recollection is that resolving duplicates was an excruciatingly
    tedious and slow undertaking in the Panther Font Book.

    James L. Ryan, May 2, 2005

  3. James L. Ryan

    matt neuburg Guest

    As you say, though, duplicate resolution is not a new Font Book feature
    in Tiger. Font validation is, though; it will be interesting to hear
    whether that helps people. m.

    matt neuburg, May 2, 2005
  4. [responding to my comment on duplicate resolution in Tiger's Font Book]
    I could be wrong, but my recollection is that in pre-Tiger Font Book one
    could resolve duplicates only one font family at a time, and even then the
    time of resolution seemed quite slow. In the Tiger version I was able to
    select the entirety of all of my fonts, independent of which collections they
    appeared in, and have the duplicate resolution happen in a matter of seconds.

    James L. Ryan, May 2, 2005