Tim Cook, please, set the records straight!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by GrosJean, Nov 8, 2012.

  1. GrosJean

    GrosJean Guest

    First there's the misleading title:

    "The Irresistible Rise of Android"

    Then the first paragraph:

    "In the wake of the news that Android sales now represent around 75% of
    the global smartphone market during the most recent quarter, there's
    still some surprise that this has happened. After all, this was a sector
    that Apple absolutely dominated just a few years ago. Some find it hard
    to understand how Android has pulled this off in just five years."

    Only in the third paragraph does some truth appear:

    "To be sure, Apple is still making huge profits, and will continue to do
    so. Even Samsung, the most successful Android manufacturer, cannot touch
    Apple in that respect. But that's a problem for Samsung, not for the
    Android world. In particular, the huge growth in user base has started to
    impact the app ecosystem: there are now reportedly as many apps for
    Android as for the iPhone."

    Of course, as a Mac user, this doesn't worry me at all. I know Apple will
    always offer true value for my money. But people are sheep, you know.
    They might suddenly decide to go for cheap Android products.

    Every time such an announcement is made, Apple shares go down. Just a few
    dollars, but nonetheless, down. I wonder what the hell Tim Cook is doing
    not explaining that Apple is still the most formidable money making
    machine in the world and that the value of Apple's products is such that
    he could hike price by 40-50% and even with only the 10% of Apple users
    who know about value, Apple would still be thriving.

    It's really sad how finance and the media rule the world to make people
    forget about real value.

    GrosJean, Nov 8, 2012

  2. GrosJean

    Király Guest

    Oh for heaven's sake, can you people take this off topic BS out of this
    newsgroup once and for all? Or at the very very least, put an OT in the
    subject line?

    GrosJean, Nov 8, 2012
  4. GrosJean

    Wes Groleau Guest

    So? If AAPL is your investment choice, that's when you buy.

    Today might have been good anyway, as they went down even more along
    with all the rest in reaction to the US election.

    Wes Groleau, Nov 8, 2012
  5. GrosJean

    FDK Guest

    "GrosJean" wrote in message
[...]

    It's sad you don't have a life and live vicariously through Apple.

    My solution for you: Buy as many Apple products as you can afford.
    Duplicate and triplicate and quadruplicate everything. iPods are like
    guns - you can never have enough.

    FDK, Nov 8, 2012
  6. GrosJean

    FDK Guest

    Now this is a real gem!! This guy needs a straight jacket.

    FDK, Nov 8, 2012
  7. GrosJean

    GrosJean Guest

    As I already explained, I sold only half of my stock in September.
    Believe me, I've lost a whole lot of money since then.
    Compare Apple and Nasdaq, you'll see that Apple goes down much faster. 2%
    lost again, just today! Since the top value was reached in September,
    it's now a loss of $150 per share. In less than 2 months!

    There's a R&D problem. Cook sues Samsung and Google for patent
    infrigements, which is fine, but he lacks leadership. The patent
    portfolio needs to be renewed. How come Apple was the first to offer a
    2560 x 1600 on the iMac but now Google offers it on the 10" Nexus.
    Instead of having done this six month ago, Cook followed Google with the
    7" iPad. Crazy!

    And iPads were Apple's workhorse and I'm afraid they'll lose the game
    because of this crappy Nexus that doesn't even offer 3G as an option.
    People are crazy, they'll go for it, just to save $100 on an equivalent
    iPad model.

    This is crazy! Can you imagine how much investment funds have lost? I'm
    afraid the bottom will drop off.

    GrosJean, Nov 8, 2012
  8. GrosJean

    GrosJean Guest

    I gather you're not an Apple investor... Then, maybe you'd need a
    straight jacket too.

    GrosJean, Nov 8, 2012
  9. GrosJean

    FDK Guest

    "GrosJean" wrote in message
    No. Not at this time.
    If you're losing on it - then I'm sincerely sorry.

    FDK, Nov 8, 2012
  10. GrosJean

    AD Guest

    You don't get it: the leader (iOS) is always about the quality,
    the loss leader (Android) is about the value because
    when you can not compete on quality you have to offer lower price.

    I could hardly see how anyone who have laid their hands on apple
    mobile
    offering could swap that for a parade of android force quits.

    Now, whether AAPL _stock_ is right priced is as good question as it
    was today:
    it's totally up to the investors perception (and to the to the social
    engineers
    who are busy fucking with investor's money)

    Tim Cook's job is not to please wall street short term, but to make
    sure
    the next device rolls out from foxconn factories and is, as usual,
    a few miles ahead of android in terms of quality.

    Let the android monkeys bleed the cutting edge features into the next
    iphone "killer":
    only to be crushed the slow steamroller of apple on the next
    installment.
    Again. And again.

    Who gives a **** about the quantity of android apps short of virgin
    smartphone users? I deal with galaxy tab almost daily (porting an
    android app to ios) daily
    and I see how reliable that piece of shit is both on the os and app
    side.

    I'm not saying there are no uses for android. There is: you get some
    students writing lab grade code (prototypes)
    quickly. If samsung & co managed to pass that for applications, good
    for their marketing. Now to write a POLISHED app
    is a whole different game altogether.

    And if wall street gets pissed about apple short term perf apple could
    start another round of the shares buyback
    to feed the voltures.

    AD, Nov 9, 2012
  11. GrosJean

    GrosJean Guest

    No doubt Android is being crushed! Here are the exact figures:

    In Q3 2012, Android shipped 110 million more phones that Apple. The
    market share for this quarter is 75% vs 14.9% for Apple.

    The smartphone segment of the market has been defined by Steve Jobs. I
    suppose when Apple is left with 0.15% of the market share you'll begin to
    wonder who exactly is being crushed and if Crook really makes such a good
    Jobs.

    GrosJean, Nov 9, 2012
  12. GrosJean

    JF Mezei Guest

    Actually, publicly traded companies have, as first priority, to please
    shareholders.

    Under Jobs, he ignored this and just had fun. It so happens that because
    Apple was wildly succesful, Wall Street was happy despite Apple not
    caring for them.

    However, with Apple's market share dwindling due to competition from
    Android, Wall Street isn't happy because their original expectations
    aren't being met, which explains the downward spiral of AAPL.

    Hopefully Apple's next financials will show solid growth and profits
    despite loss of market share and investors will start treating APPL as a
    blue chip stock instead of a speculative growth stock.

    Apple grew because it was leading edge. If Apple becomes the trailing
    edge, it will not succeed.

    Lets not kid ourselves, the iphone5 has nothing truly new and innovative
    in terms of features. Apple is still behind in many aspects such as NFC
    etc.

    Hopefully Federigni can bring life and excitement back into IOS.

    Look at what RIM is up to:

    How come Apple didn't think of this ?

    Short term ? the question is is whether the current dolldrums affecting
    AAPL is short term or whether Apple has really lost its edge for good.

    It will still produce fine phones with great quality. So did Blackberry.
    But that didn't do Blackberry any good and they are struggling to get
    back in business.

    JF Mezei, Nov 9, 2012
  13. GrosJean

    GrosJean Guest

    I believe Apple will end as junk bonds. I understand their investment
    strategy better now. They've put all their money in nice stores.
    Meanwhile, Google has built 8 data centers throughout the world, with 4
    more coming next year. It will have more than 2 million servers in
    operation.

    Then, they sell those cute little Chromebooks for $250 with 100GB online
    storage and also the possibility of saving locally on an SD card. You
    don't have to install software, update, keep viruses in check, etc. All
    this is done completely automatically. It's a computer that works with as
    little headaches as a TV. That's what most people want.

    Understand what I say, here. It's very far from a MacBook. If it offers a
    unibody, it's a plastic unibody. But most people don't understand the
    significance of a good chassis in a computer. Soon you'll find Chromebooks
    in Corn Flakes boxes. For students just typing a text or housewifes
    looking for a recipe, it will do the job.

    It has been said that Apple had build an ecosystem. That's exactly what
    Google is doing, but on an unprecedented scale. They're gathering users
    at all costs. Then, only then, they'll begin to introduce models that
    will please Mac users. The advantages of being part of this ecosystem
    will be such that the offer will be hard to resist.

    In his last years, Steve Jobs was a very sick man. He couldn't see the
    new wave coming. But Tim Crook should have. How come he didn't. How come
    Apple kept buying its online services from Akamai? Amazon, that began as
    an online bookseller, now offers EC2. Even Ubuntu, with it's limited
    means offers cloud services. How could Crook miss this elephant running
    at him? Apple is stuck in the XXth century.

    GrosJean, Nov 10, 2012
  14. GrosJean

    Paul Sture Guest

    That's a nice feature.

    Paul Sture, Nov 10, 2012
  15. GrosJean

    Sandman Guest

    Whoa, pretty cool feature!

    Sandman, Nov 10, 2012
  16. GrosJean

    SMS Guest

    That capability has existed on some models of digital cameras for quite
    a few years. Take a bunch of frame shots in quick succession, process
    them, and let the shooter choose which one(s) he or she wants. I think
    Casio, of all brands, had it first.

    The Samsung Galaxy S III and the HTC One X have the same functionality,
    and if the camera allows it, you can use an Android app to get the
    feature (several different apps support it)
    <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spritefish.fastburstcamera&hl=en>.
    There are also apps on the iTunes store that add a fast burst mode to
    the iPhone though they advise you that you may want to close other
    applications so the processor can devote all its power to encoding
    <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-camera-pro/id463700742?mt=8>.

    SMS, Nov 10, 2012
  17. GrosJean

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Nov 11, 2012
  18. GrosJean

    MacPaul Guest

    There are no "investors", they are just called that way so that it
    doesn't strike what they really are: parasites.

    MacPaul, Nov 11, 2012
  19. GrosJean

    Alan Browne Guest

    When you don't understand it, you give it an ugly label?

    How's this strategy working out for you in life?

    Alan Browne, Nov 11, 2012
  20. GrosJean

    AD Guest

    soooo how many iphone users have switched to android and rim because
    of the "cutting edge features"?????

    AD, Nov 12, 2012