    about? It would make my Solaris 10 box even more useful as remote disk
    storage for TM. I'm hopeful since ZFS came from Solaris 10 in the
    first place ...

    Philip, Oct 27, 2007

  2. If it worked with AirPort Disk, it's a pretty good bet that Apple would
    say so. In the meantime, has anybody who has the final, shipping version
    of Leopard gotten Time Machine to back up over a network to a disk image
    on anything other than an Xsan or Leopard system?

    Neill Massello, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Apple's future plans for Time Machine and ZFS are known to people inside
    Apple. Everybody else has to speculate.

    Time Machine not only requires a volume that's HFS+, but one attached to
    a system that supports hard links to directories. It's not aimed at
    those likely to be connected to a Solaris server but at individual Mac
    users who aren't savvy about networks and backups. My guess is that
    Apple's current priority is to get Time Machine working with an HFS+
    AirPort Disk, which is Apple's consumer NAS.

    There's a good chance that Apple will move to ZFS as the default Mac OS
    file system, but that will take time. At the moment, it's read-only from
    the command line -- about as useful as Esperanto to the typical Mac
    user.

    Neill Massello, Oct 27, 2007