    I'm running on the latest model iMac and the latest model Time Capsule.
    I'm running on the latest releass sof Lion (10.7.3), and
    TimeMachineEditor (2.5.3 (26)).

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 26, 2012

  2. TaliesinSoft

    Alan Browne Guest

    No idea what your issue it, but a question.

    If you leave it alone will the next backup (next hour) run?

    Alan Browne, Feb 26, 2012

  3. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    The issue is that about once every couple of weeks my hourly Time
    Machine backups fail to take place and I receive an error message
    stating that the backup drive could not be found. As I stated, after I
    do a manual backup following whidh I set things so that the timing of
    the backups is controlled by TimeMachineEditor which is programmed to
    do backups each hour on the hour, regularl hourly backups occur until
    the next "incident" which typically is several weeks removed.

    I hope this clarifies things
    ..

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 26, 2012
  4. TaliesinSoft

    Alan Browne Guest

    No. Because you did not (from what you wrote) try what I asked:

    if, following that failure, you do _nothing_ (no invoked backup) will
    the next sched. backup run or not. You probably haven't tried that (or
    you would have said so).

    Also, in the grand traditions of this NG, and per the incessant
    reminders from JR: Did you check the logs after such a failure for any
    other hints of what the issue may be?

    Alan Browne, Feb 26, 2012
  5. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2012-02-26 16:34:17 +0000, Alan Browne said:

    When the scheduled Time Machine backup fails no more backups will take
    place until the following action sequence is followed:

    a) launch Time Machine preferences.

    b) with Time Machine preferences enable Time Machine backups as they
    are normally off as the launching of a backup is undertaken by
    TimeMachineEdiitor which has been programmed to have a backup occur
    each hour on the hour.

    c) manually initiate a backup.

    d) when the backup has completed with Time Machine preferences disable
    Time Machine backups.

    e) after the disabling the running of Time Machine backups is
    controlled by TimeMachineEditor and backups will continue until the
    next failure occurs, and that is usually in a few weeks.

    The logs have not been checked after a backup failure, and this is
    something I will be sure to do the next time a failure occurs.

    Hopefully this will clarify things, but I'm most willing to answer
    further questions.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 26, 2012
  6. TaliesinSoft

    Alan Browne Guest

    The above does not match my experience.

    Occasionally I'll forget to plug in my Drobo (where TM goes). The 12:15
    backup (I use Time Machine Editor too) fails. I clear the error message
    and nothing else. I plug in the Drobo and the 19:15 backup goes as
    planned w/o me needing to do anything.
    I think you should, next time, clear the error message and let it go and
    see what happens - as well as checking the logs and making sure the
    volume is in fact available.

    Alan Browne, Feb 26, 2012
  7. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    In regards to the Time Machine backups I just now had an interesting
    experience….

    When I came home after having been gone for a number of hours I was
    greeted yet again with the "cannot be found" message in regards to the
    Time Machine backup. I then opened Time Machine Preferences which
    showed that the failed backup had been initiated a bit over an hour
    before I chdcked. The normal time for a Time Machine backup is about
    fifteen minutes. I then noticed that the progress indicator in the Time
    Machine Preferences showed that the backup in question was on the verge
    of completion. I waited another couple of minutes without doing
    anything and the backup suddenly completed. So it seems that now the
    question is why didn't the scheduled backup complete in the "normal"
    fashion?

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 27, 2012
  8. TaliesinSoft

    Alan Browne Guest

    What are your sleep settings?

    (Will TM stop when the "sleep" time hits?)

    Alan Browne, Feb 27, 2012
  9. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2012-02-27 22:10:35 +0000, Alan Browne said:

    [continuing in the discussion in this thread]
    The computer is set to never sleep.

    The display is set to sleep in 15 minutes.

    TimeMachineEditor is set to perform a Time Machine backup every hour on
    the hour except for the hours 2, 3, 4, and 5 AM. This is so my
    SuperDuper! backups can run without there being an interference with
    the Time Machine backups -- the interference is a known but with
    SuperDuper!.

    And my thanks to you, Alan, for taking the time to help me determine
    the cause of the Time Machine backup failures.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 28, 2012