    TIA!

    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

    Davoud, Apr 26, 2014

  2. In article <260420140059398443%>, Davoud <>
    wrote:

    > That's fine by me. I'm a backup paranoid after losing a WordStar
    > document from my Osborne I in 1982.
    >
    > But it appears not to be working. TM says it can't backup because the
    > disk is too full. Based on the quote in the title, I expected it would
    > delete old backups to make room and go about its business.
    >
    > What don't I know?

    Each backup only contains the files that changed since the previous
    backup. The way this is done is that all the filenames for unchanged
    files are hard links to the same file.

    So when a backup is deleted, it only recovers space for the files that
    have newer versions in the next backup. If most of them didn't change,
    deleting the backup won't get you much space. This can easily happen if
    your disk is full of archives of images and movies that you never modify
    or delete -- all backups will be 90% the same stuff.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, Apr 26, 2014

  3. Davoud

    David Ritz Guest

    Re: Time Machine: "Oldest backups are deleted when your disk becomesfull."

    David Ritz, Apr 26, 2014
  4. Davoud

    David Empson Guest

    Davoud <> wrote:

    > That's fine by me. I'm a backup paranoid after losing a WordStar
    > document from my Osborne I in 1982.
    >
    > But it appears not to be working. TM says it can't backup because the
    > disk is too full. Based on the quote in the title, I expected it would
    > delete old backups to make room and go about its business.
    >
    > What don't I know?

    To clarify, there are two possible scenarios and I'm not sure which one
    you are encountering.

    (a) If you are trying to back up a new computer to a drive which is
    already being used for Time Machine backups of other computers, then the
    new backup can only start if there is enough free space. Time Machine
    will only delete old backups from the same computer in order to free up
    space for new backups.

    Note that some instances of computer/drive replacement might result in
    Time Machine thinking it needs to start a new backup rather than
    continuing an existing one. (I encountered this once when I was running
    somewhere around 10.5/10.6, but not when I had a similar situation
    around the 10.8/10.9 timeframe, so Apple may have improved the logic in
    later OS X versions.)

    (b) If nothing out of the ordinary has happened and TM has just reached
    the point where the backup disk is full, then it should be able to work
    as advertised, by deleting the oldest backup (or several old backups) of
    this computer to make room for the next backup.

    If there has been a significant change on the computer, such as adding a
    new large drive or lots of files on an existing drive that need to be
    added to the backup (including moving or renaming a huge folder) this
    can trigger a situation where TM thinks it can't delete enough old
    backups to make room - it needs to be able to retain at least one old
    backup.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 27, 2014
  5. Davoud

    Tom Stiller Guest

    On 2014-04-26, David Empson <> wrote:
    > Davoud <> wrote:
    >
    >> That's fine by me. I'm a backup paranoid after losing a WordStar
    >> document from my Osborne I in 1982.
    >>
    >> But it appears not to be working. TM says it can't backup because the
    >> disk is too full. Based on the quote in the title, I expected it would
    >> delete old backups to make room and go about its business.
    >>
    >> What don't I know?

    > To clarify, there are two possible scenarios and I'm not sure which one
    > you are encountering.
    >
    > (a) If you are trying to back up a new computer to a drive which is
    > already being used for Time Machine backups of other computers, then the
    > new backup can only start if there is enough free space. Time Machine
    > will only delete old backups from the same computer in order to free up
    > space for new backups.
    >
    > Note that some instances of computer/drive replacement might result in
    > Time Machine thinking it needs to start a new backup rather than
    > continuing an existing one. (I encountered this once when I was running
    > somewhere around 10.5/10.6, but not when I had a similar situation
    > around the 10.8/10.9 timeframe, so Apple may have improved the logic in
    > later OS X versions.)

    In this case it may be possible to use the shell command:
    inheritbackup {machine_directory | sparsebundle} ot accquire the old backup.

    I used this technique to "inherit" a backup sparsebundle produced on an
    old MacBook by its replacement.

    Tom Stiller, Apr 27, 2014
  6. Davoud

    nospam Guest

    In article <1lkrd3n.11dmsa251ywt0N%>, David Empson
    <> wrote:

    > Note that some instances of computer/drive replacement might result in
    > Time Machine thinking it needs to start a new backup rather than
    > continuing an existing one. (I encountered this once when I was running
    > somewhere around 10.5/10.6, but not when I had a similar situation
    > around the 10.8/10.9 timeframe, so Apple may have improved the logic in
    > later OS X versions.)

    easily done using the command line utility tmutil in lion and later.

    it's possible to do it in earlier systems but it's a pain in the ass.

    nospam, Apr 27, 2014
  7. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    > > But it appears not to be working. TM says it can't backup because the
    > > disk is too full. Based on the quote in the title, I expected it would
    > > delete old backups to make room and go about its business.

    David Empson:
    > To clarify, there are two possible scenarios and I'm not sure which one
    > you are encountering.
    >
    > (a) If you are trying to back up a new computer...

    Not the case.

    > Note that some instances of computer/drive replacement

    Not the case.

    > (b) If nothing out of the ordinary has happened

    That's the case, as far as I know.

    > and TM has just reached
    > the point where the backup disk is full, then it should be able to work
    > as advertised, by deleting the oldest backup (or several old backups) of
    > this computer to make room for the next backup.

    That's my thinking. Simple enough, so I thought. I didn't understand
    Mr. Margolin's explanation at all. It has been working all along.

    > If there has been a significant change on the computer, such as adding a
    > new large drive or lots of files on an existing drive

    Not the case.

    TM just quit working one day. April 24, to be specific.

    I think that I'll erase the TM volume and turn it into a SuperDuper
    backup volume. I've already got one of those for this machine; one more
    can't hurt.

    Thanks for taking time to reply.

    Davoud, Apr 28, 2014
  8. Davoud

    J Burns Guest

    On 4/26/14, 12:59 AM, Davoud wrote:
    > That's fine by me. I'm a backup paranoid after losing a WordStar
    > document from my Osborne I in 1982.
    >
    > But it appears not to be working. TM says it can't backup because the
    > disk is too full. Based on the quote in the title, I expected it would
    > delete old backups to make room and go about its business.
    >
    > What don't I know?
    >
    > TIA!

    What exactly does it say? Sometimes when the big print says the disk is
    full, the fine print says it isn't because Time Machine deleted some old
    files.

    J Burns, Apr 28, 2014