    I can't see any way to access Time Capsule except via Time Machine, and
    I'm about ready to give up on backup if it's only going to block me
    from adding anything new on the laptop.

    erilar, Sep 13, 2012

  2. Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
    it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
    a backup disk.

    Barry Margolin, Sep 13, 2012

  3. Time Machine uses any disks that you tell it to use. If you don't want
    it using your hard drive, go into TM preferences and remove that disk as
    a backup disk.[/QUOTE]

    Sorry, but that's not quite the case here. In the case of laptops, Time
    Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
    connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
    when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
    erases it from the boot drive.

    It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
    laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.

    Michelle Steiner, Sep 13, 2012
  4. erilar

    erilar Guest

    Will it keep backing up to the Time Capsule? I can't find that as an
    option, but TC has stuff on it.

    erilar, Sep 13, 2012
  5. erilar

    erilar Guest

    Sorry, but that's not quite the case here. In the case of laptops, Time
    Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
    connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
    when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
    erases it from the boot drive.

    It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
    laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.[/QUOTE]

    The laptop wasn't almost full before TM, however. TM seems to be
    telling me it's backing up ON the laptop. The thing is running
    constantly and I can't find a way to tell it not to do that.

    erilar, Sep 13, 2012
  6. erilar

    David Empson Guest

    Sorry, but that's not quite the case here. In the case of laptops, Time
    Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
    connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
    when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
    erases it from the boot drive.[/QUOTE]

    That's what I thought too, but it does not agree with my observations.
    There is no evidence of backups being transferred to the external drive:
    I have gaps in my history corresponding to when I was not connected to
    that drive, but I did have local backups covering that gap for about a
    day afterwards.

    It also looks like local backups take place whether or not the external
    drive is connected, but TM is more aggressive about deleting older local
    backups when the external backup drive is available.

    The key point is that the total space used by local backups is
    deliberately limited to a moderate portion of the free space, and if you
    start to fill up the free space, TM will start to delete the older local
    backups to keep its backups in proportion. It dynamically adapts to
    changes in free space.
    If the drive was very close to full then TM wouldn't be storing local
    backups at all.

    David Empson, Sep 14, 2012
  7. erilar

    erilar Guest

    That's the only drive in there. Time Capsule isn't.

    erilar, Sep 14, 2012
  8. erilar

    erilar Guest

    Sorry, but that's not quite the case here. In the case of laptops, Time
    Machine creates its backup on the boot drive whenever the computer is not
    connected to the destination drive (a Time Capsule in this case), and then
    when they do connect, it transfers the backup to the destination drive, and
    erases it from the boot drive.

    It shouldn't prevent the installation of new stuff on the laptop unless the
    laptop's drive is very close to full to begin with.[/QUOTE]

    It's connected all the time. I did empty my rather full Trash and get
    some space, but there's no way I can add up contents to get close to the
    figure the laptop tells me is in use.

    erilar, Sep 14, 2012
  9. erilar

    erilar Guest

    OK, what's a terminal command? I'm having a terminology failure :cool:

    erilar, Sep 14, 2012
  10. You open the "Terminal" utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and
    type the command.

    Barry Margolin, Sep 14, 2012
  11. erilar

    Tom Stiller Guest

    You will have to be logged in to an administrator account and supply the
    administrator's password when prompted by the "sudo" command.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 14, 2012
  12. erilar

    erilar Guest

    Aha! Meanwhile I seem to have made it stop for a while, but it's
    always nice to add to my education :cool:

    erilar, Sep 15, 2012
  13. erilar

    erilar Guest

    Well, I can find it, but whether I have the password listed where I can
    find THAT may be another matter.

    erilar, Sep 15, 2012
  14. erilar

    Tom Stiller Guest

    If you can't find the login ID and password for an administrator
    account, local Time Machine backups are the least or your worries.

    Tom Stiller, Sep 15, 2012
  15. erilar

    Patty Winter Guest

    Indeed. Good luck on updating apps or installing security updates.
    (I know that apps can be installed in a user's home directory, but
    usually you want them in the top-level applications folder.)

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Sep 15, 2012