  1. For the second time since I've had this Time Capsule, Time Machine had to
    erase the entire backup and start anew; last time was in May of last year.

    What causes this problem to happen?

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2011

  2. <
    xample.com>,
    Time Machine backups have a rarely used and complex structure that's
    prone to corruption. I recommend using at least MacOS 10.6 and avoiding
    interruptions that cause the disk to go offline (power loss, forced
    sleep, lost network, etc.). Corruption was a common problem when I was
    using 10.5.

    Disk Utility in 10.6 can often repair the damage but, unfortunately,
    Time Machine flags the backup as permanently damaged. The flag can be
    removed by editing a hidden file but I can't remember what it is.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 5, 2011

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    <
    only twice? time machine has corrupted its archives 3 or 4 times (don't
    remember) in less than a year.
    sloppy programming and lack of testing.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2011
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Red Butler Guest

    It probably finds your naive, adolescent sig offensive. No doubt it's
    trying to get rid of it thereby saving you from further embarrassing
    yourself in a public forum...

    Red Butler, Mar 5, 2011
  5. Is the corruption you mention the likely cause of this problem?

    I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and migrated the information from
    my old Mac by using a Time Machine backup. I did this because my old
    Mac has a temperature problem that sometimes causes it to put itself to
    sleep. I didn't want this to happen in the middle of the migration.

    The problem is, I ended up with an image of the old Mac from about 20
    days earlier. I had noticed that backups were finishing TM had worked
    correctly for a while, then it stopped working. very quickly, but I
    foolishly didn't verify that my backups were good. Apparently whatever
    logic TM used to decide what files were new told it that there was
    nothing new, or something like that. The "most recent" backup looks fin
    in Finbdere, but careful inspection shows that the most recent files are
    20 days old.

    Previously I had a different problem. Backups were taking forever to
    finish. It couldn't do hourly backups because an hour wasn't enough for
    it to finish. So I erased the backup disk and started over. Time
    Machine did its job for a while, then failed in the new way mentioned
    above.

    Matthew Lybanon, Mar 5, 2011
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Warren Oates Guest

    Ah. The Ministry of Truth is heard from.

    Warren Oates, Mar 5, 2011
  7. Michelle Steiner

    George Kerby Guest

    <BFG!>

    People listen to CNN and MSNBC way too much!

    George Kerby, Mar 5, 2011
  8. Michelle Steiner

    shine Guest

    Not more offensive than some douche trying to sensor speech.
    Too late for you, professor.

    shine, Mar 5, 2011
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Red Butler Guest

    Yeah, we really need to do away with that "sensoring"...eh sophomore?

    Red Butler, Mar 5, 2011
  10. Michelle Steiner

    Ed Anson Guest

    YMMV. My Time Capsule's oldest backup is March 1, 2009 -- which is the
    day I installed it. It has never failed me. [I wish I could say the same
    for my internal hard drive, which I have had to restore from backup
    twice in the same time period.]

    Ed Anson, Mar 5, 2011
  11. Michelle Steiner

    George Kerby Guest

    And what are YOUR actions here?

    BTW: That false claim that you are trying to ascertain is called "censor" -
    C-E-N-S-O-R.

    Speech, or English was not a real big thingy for you in school was it?

    At least you figured how to spell 'douche' correctly-because of familiarity
    no less, eh?

    George Kerby, Mar 6, 2011
  12. Michelle Steiner

    George Kerby Guest

    You 'insensortive' conservative, so full of hate. Shame!

    Libs-ya' gotta luv 'em...

    George Kerby, Mar 6, 2011
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Salmon Egg Guest

    What makes that sig offensive is that it is true.

    Bill

    Salmon Egg, Mar 6, 2011
  14. Let me see if I understand correctly...

    YOU disagree with her opinion, there SHE is embarrassing herself.

    Mike Rosenberg, Mar 6, 2011
  15. Michelle Steiner

    John Varela Guest

    Exactly what does that opinion have to do with Mac systems?

    Anyone can make up that sort of schoolyard insult. It's annoying and
    does nothing to further her beliefs or her standing in the group.

    John Varela, Mar 6, 2011
  16. That sig reminded me of a joke that works better in Hungarian, but still
    works in English. The difference between a republic (köztársaság) and a
    people's republic (népköztársaság) is like the difference between
    fucking (baszas) and being fucked over (kibaszas).

    Cheers

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Mar 6, 2011
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    I would say that Michelle's standing in the NG is amongst the highest of
    anyone here.

    Alan Browne, Mar 6, 2011
  18. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    On what model have you had HD failures?

    Alan Browne, Mar 6, 2011
  19. But I'm sitting. And my cat is staring at me. The other one is napping.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 6, 2011
  20. Look out. And put the milk away.

    Doug Anderson, Mar 6, 2011