    Renaming the file isn't an option-- this file is used by a certain app
    that expects it to have a specific name.

    Any ideas?

    Tom Harrington, Nov 4, 2011

  2. Just a guess, but then you did ask for such...

    Try modifying the file in some way to kick off a backup of it. Instead
    of rescanning the whole file system every time, TM gets a notification
    when a file is modified (I'm slightly simplifying, I know, but close
    enough). If nothing has changed in the file since the last time it was
    backed up, there would not have been anything to tell TM to do a new
    backup of it. So try kicking it by making a modification.

    If nothing else, maybe just copy the file to another name and then copy
    it back, or something like that.

    Richard Maine, Nov 4, 2011

  3. Open a terminal window and do:

    touch /path/to/filename

    This simply updates the file's modification time without actually
    modifying it, which may trigger the backup.

    Barry Margolin, Nov 4, 2011
  4. This file gets modified all the time, many times since I deleted it from
    backups.

    I've since discovered that there's an xattr on it named
    "com.apple.metadata:com_apple_backup_excludeItem". I plan on removing
    that and seeing what happens.

    Tom Harrington, Nov 4, 2011