Time/Tiny/Mitac 8375 Laptop Backlight Problem.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by pjfrith, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. pjfrith

    pjfrith Guest

    Hi all,

    This is my first post on here so please bear with me!!

    I have a problem with my 8375. It seems that the backlight is not
    switching on.

    I can boot the machine up on an external monitor fine, and when I boot
    on the LCD, you can just make out
    everything on the screen, but with no backlight.

    I've tried the 'brightness up/down' keyboard combination - No joy!

    I though at first the inverter had gone so I swapped it with a known
    working unit - No joy!

    I then swapped the entire screen/lid unit, again no joy!

    Does anyone have a clue as to where to go next???

    Also, if anyone has a service manual for the 8375 they could email to
    me I'd appreciate it.

    Cheers
    Pete

    pjfrith, Sep 16, 2007

  2. pjfrith

    BillW50 Guest

    In pjfrith typed on Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:45:41 -0700:
    Well next there is a lid switch probably. I don't know your model, but
    some use a physical switch and some use a magnetic switch.

    BillW50, Sep 16, 2007

  3. pjfrith

    pjfrith Guest

    Hi Bill,

    I thought of that one too. The switch checked out fine. Also, I would
    have thought that it would have turned of the LCD altogether
    (Backlight and panel) if it was the switch.

    I've just managed to find the service manual at
    http://mtc.mitacservice.com/MISC/M0100/F0110_Homepage.aspx so I'm
    going to have a look through that for clues!!

    The quest continues.........

    Pete

    pjfrith, Sep 17, 2007
  4. pjfrith

    BillW50 Guest

    In pjfrith typed on Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:13:20 -0700:
    HI Pete! No the switch doesn't turn off the panel display. At least I
    never saw one do this. I suppose the reason is because the LCD uses
    almost no power whatsoever that turning the LCD off will not effect the
    battery life whatsoever. Thus why bother? Although the lamp sucks a
    great deal of power and makes a very big difference in battery life
    whether it is on or off.

    BillW50, Sep 24, 2007
  5. pjfrith

    pjfrith Guest

    Cheers Bill,

    I guess it's screwdriver time again when I get back home!!, I'll check
    out the switch and possibly see if I can power it all up minus the
    casing in case something's caught when I've reassembled it.

    I've got a couple of 'Spares or Repair ones coming as well so I'm
    hoping that I'll get at least one up and running from all the
    bits ;-)

    Best Regards
    Pete

    pjfrith, Sep 24, 2007